[civilwarwest] General Govan

  • basecat@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 10, 1999
      Hey all!!...Just checking to see if anyone has or knows of any books on
      General Govan....Have read only minor snippets about his Civil War
      career, and would like to read a full biography on him....Reason why I
      ask....Govan is a Croatian name...that is shared by my family...i.e.
      we have Govan's in the family tree, and any information would be
      helpful...Thanks...Steve.
    • L.A. Chambliss
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 11, 1999
        Heya Basec....er, I mean Hi Steve!

        Some clues would have been helpful here, like if the guy went North or
        South...however with only two books to choose between I picked the right
        one in only two tries!

        Per "Generals in Gray": Daniel Chevilette Govan, b. July 4 1829,
        Northampton County, North Carolina. Raised in Mississippi, went to
        University of South Carolina. Went out to the California Gold Rush with his
        "kinsman" (relationship unspecified), Ben McCulloch. Returned to
        Mississippi then settled in Arkansas as a planter. Raised a company that
        became part of the 2nd Ark. Inf. Captured at Jonesboro (Atlanta Campaign)
        but got sprung in time to surrender with Johnston at Bentonville.
        Postwar, he was appointed Indian agent in Washington State. Spent his later
        years bouncing between the houses of his 14 (!!) children in Tennessee and
        Mississippi. Died Mar. 12 1911 in Memphis, buried Holly Springs, Miss.

        If he had gone Union I could give you gory medical details, but I don't
        have "Medical Histories of Confederate Generals" yet.

        Don't see much of a Croatian connection in this, his middle name sounds
        more French to me. However, this is what I can find.

        See ya on the chat board later..

        Laurie (Xan)

        basecat@... wrote:

        > Hey all!!...Just checking to see if anyone has or knows of any books on
        > General Govan....Have read only minor snippets about his Civil War
        > career, and would like to read a full biography on him....Reason why I
        > ask....Govan is a Croatian name...that is shared by my family...i.e.
        > we have Govan's in the family tree, and any information would be
        > helpful...Thanks...Steve.

        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
      • Stephen Basic
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 11, 1999
          Xan....LOL...In my insomnia of last night...forgot to mention that the
          original name in my family tree that my Dad is working on is
          Govanicevic....which was shortened to Govan....and we still have
          relatives in NC with that name, or the shortened version of this...Have
          already contacted that family, but alas when I mentioned the CW...Their
          respone was ..There was one???...:-) Know it is a longshot....but when
          I saw the name Govan in Dad's research I couldn't believe it...Thanks
          for the background info...:-)

          Steve
        • Stephen Basic

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 12, 1999
              Hey Steve,

              I can top that one...this is the history of my sister's husband's family.
              Back in Poland around the end of the last century the choices for a young
              man varied between involuntary enlistment in the German or the Russian
              armies, depending on whose "recruiters" swept through your village as you
              turned military age. A young man of the Magara family found either choice
              distasteful so he hopped ship for America. To spare his family embarrasment
              (possibly of a fatal nature) he took the precaution of getting forged
              papers for this trip. The only ones he could get were in the name of
              "Majeieleski" or something equally unspellable.

              A couple of years later his younger brother is faced with the same
              predicament so he goes back as a respectable US citizen and gets his
              brother out too, however the brother is obliged to become "Majeielski" as
              well. The families settle in Milwaukee and go on to prosper.

              We come to the current generation when the grandson of our original
              immigrant marries my sister. She, being well established in her career in
              university public relations keeps her own name, Melanie Spain. This goes
              well until the arrival of their firstborn son. Much dithering takes place,
              largely around two themes: the whole family should have the same name, but
              it would be child abuse to inflict this "Majielski" thing on an innocent
              newborn. My sis is barely out of the delivery room when Jim brings her
              some official looking documents: He has quietly gone to court and legally
              changed his name back to Magara!

              There is rejoicing in the land, Melanie goes through the paperwork to
              become a Magara too, and much confusion at the post office is eliminated.
              (The only problem was that Jim's dad was somewhat less than amused, but
              he is quietly ignored. ) I leave you with the thought of what some future
              geneologist is going to go through, trying to figure out why the Maraga
              line has this bizzare spelling of the name for a couple of generations.
              He'll probably blame it on Ellis Island bureaucrats with a warped sense of
              humor. ;)

              Cheers,

              Laurie

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 12, 1999