Re: Meigs

  • caztanzo
    Message 1 of 50 , Aug 4, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
      wrote:

      > It seems that I was correctly remembering, after all, about the
      > corrections to Meigs' dispatch. The Library of Congress catalog
      > lists:
      >
      > "Three days' battle of Chattanooga, 23d, 24th, 25th November, 1864
      > [!] An unofficial dispatch from General Meigs to the Hon. E.M.
      > Stanton, secretary of war. Now first correctly printed," dated 1864.

      But, who made the corrections? My understanding is that Meigs
      responded to some complaints from Sherman.

      As the above indicates, this was an "unofficial" dispatch. Meigs
      added information in his private journal. You've offered an
      interpretation that I find unconvincing, in part because your answer
      really doesn't admit of a difference of opinion. Unless you have any
      further evidence that Meigs distrusted Grant or questioned his
      veracity (there are two biographies available), I think this has run
      its course, as several experts in the field have offered
      interpretations that differ from yours. At best, it's an open
      question.
    • caztanzo
      Message 50 of 50 , Aug 4, 2003