Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Ewing takes Tunnel Hill

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 3, 2003
      In a message dated 8/3/2003 9:16:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wh_keene@... writes:

      "On the 25th, Corse led his brigade down the gorge and up Tunnel
      >Hill, assaulting and carrying it with great gallantry. We drove the
      >enemy from his entire intrenchments, and reduced the larger part to
      >possession. For the extreme southern point, heavily massing behind
      >it, he contended until nightfall, when he abandoned the position."

      What I presume that Ewing is talking about here, is driving Smith's Texans from their position, from which they joined up with the Arkansas units and Swet's Battery on top of the hill which the Union failed to carry, primarily due to the excellent position chosen by Cleburne and the slippery terrain.  (see photo in  my last post of this topic, of the terrain to the top of the hill).  Just keep on reading what Ewing and others had to say about the main assault on Tunnel Hill which took place on the 26th not the 25th.  I'll look up to see what Sgt E. Hart of the 40th Illinois had to say about that, type it up, and then post it.

      JEJ
    • bjer50010
      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 21, 2003
        > In a message dated 8/20/2003 11:29:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > wh_keene@y... writes:
        >
        > > Ewing
        > > did not know that Smith's Texans had been ordered to fall back to a
        > > new position. What he knew was that the enemy had spent the night
        > > building a line of defensive works and that Corse's brigade had
        > > attacked those works and captured them. This gave the appearance
        > > that Corse had driven the enemy back rather than that the enemy
        > > intentionally falling back.
        > >

        > Will,
        > What you say here is true. The Smith's Texan's that the 40th Illinois (of
        > Corse's Brigade) had to fight in taking those defensive works, were those of
        the
        > rear guard that was protecting the orderly withdrawl ordered by Cleburne.
        > The area of those defensive works is where the Union monuments are now
        on the
        > Sherman Reservation.
        >
        > JEJ

        General,

        ISTM that Will's entire argument is, as usual, well-thought out and well
        supported. While it is easy to sit back with a map on a desk and argue he was
        wrong, it is also true that Ewing, et al. did not have that luxury. This
        discussion has given me a new insight into Sherman's accomplishment and I
        am tending towards being less harsh on him than previously.

        JB Jewell