Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Thomas: Overrated or Underrated?

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 115 , Aug 1, 2003
      In a message dated 8/1/2003 7:13:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rtaubman@... writes:

      Grant's order
      to attack regardless of the circumstances, Grant's perception of Thomas,
      and Thomas's refusal frustrated Grant.  I believe Grant was completely
      within his right as CIC to make such an order, I certainly won't/can't argue
      that.

      I agree with this Bob, but if Thomas had attacked when Grant kept on ordering him, it is a good possibility that the attack would have failed.  According to reports, the ground was so icy after an ice storm, that even the horses could not stand up, let alone a soldier trying to march.  Grant was not aware of these severe weather conditions and IIRC the ice storm also knocked out the telegraph lines so Thomas was not able to notify Grant of the conditions.  Once the weather cleared and conditions improved, Thomas did attack and was successful.

      JEJ
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com