Re: Bragg and Longstreet

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 189 , Aug 1 9:47 AM
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Peters"
      <col_freemantle@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > >>Right or wrong, Bragg was C-in-C, and made Longstreet's behaviour
      > >>out of order!
      > >

      > > Can't argue with that. I would have a lot more respect for
      > > Longstreet and the other members of the cabal if all these
      generals
      > > followed up by resigning when Bragg continued as Commander.
      >

      > This would have also forced Davis's hand. Davis had claimed that
      he
      > would have liked to replace Bragg but couldn't find a suitable
      > replacement. To lose so many experienced corps/division commanders
      > would surely have made Bragg expendable.
      >
      > But, perhaps we should have more respect for the likes of
      > Breckinridge who, despite his opposition to Bragg, continued to do
      > his duty and refused to join the conspiracy against Bragg.

      Or, to consider the counter side, consider what it was that drove
      military professionals like Longstreet, Hill, Buckner et al to even
      consider writing such a petition.

      Extremely extraordinary circumstances *must* have been at play to
      cause such men to even discuss such action.

      I fully understand (CYA) why some decided not to sign such a
      petition. In light of Davis's recommendation to sustain Bragg, they
      all should have been relieved.

      Dave
    • LWhite64@aol.com
      Message 189 of 189 , Jun 14, 2006
        Bragg had a lot of health problems, he suffered from chronic migranes, stomach ailments that probably led to his bouts with chronic dysentery, boils, and probably heart disease.  Bragg also showed symptomes of manic-depression as well.

        Lee