Re: Thomas: Overrated or Underrated?

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 115 , Aug 1, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "caztanzo" <cfsusg@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
      > wrote:

      snips

      > I think Thomas should be judged on his own merits, and not
      > primarily through some effort to engage in a contest of comparisons
      > with others. Don't others agree?

      Indeed. As we should judge (or at least discuss) all Civil War
      personalities.

      Dave
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 115 of 115 , Aug 1, 2003
        In a message dated 8/1/2003 7:13:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rtaubman@... writes:

        Grant's order
        to attack regardless of the circumstances, Grant's perception of Thomas,
        and Thomas's refusal frustrated Grant.  I believe Grant was completely
        within his right as CIC to make such an order, I certainly won't/can't argue
        that.

        I agree with this Bob, but if Thomas had attacked when Grant kept on ordering him, it is a good possibility that the attack would have failed.  According to reports, the ground was so icy after an ice storm, that even the horses could not stand up, let alone a soldier trying to march.  Grant was not aware of these severe weather conditions and IIRC the ice storm also knocked out the telegraph lines so Thomas was not able to notify Grant of the conditions.  Once the weather cleared and conditions improved, Thomas did attack and was successful.

        JEJ