Re: Thomas: Overrated or Underrated?

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 115 , Aug 1 8:36 AM
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
      wrote:

      This was me:
      > > Did Grant find fault with Thomas for being slow in attacking, or
      > > for not attacking when ordered?
      > >
      > > I'm not necessarily defending Grant and Nashville, but from my
      > > perspective, the two above are very different things.
      >

      > Mr. Smith:
      >
      > I think that, in the usage common to this situation, the two are
      > one and the same.

      I don't think it's at all common usage for this situation. They are
      two distinctly different things.

      We probably will have to agree to disagree, though I am interested in
      the opinions of other posters.

      Dave
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 115 of 115 , Aug 1 10:20 PM
        In a message dated 8/1/2003 7:13:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rtaubman@... writes:

        Grant's order
        to attack regardless of the circumstances, Grant's perception of Thomas,
        and Thomas's refusal frustrated Grant.  I believe Grant was completely
        within his right as CIC to make such an order, I certainly won't/can't argue
        that.

        I agree with this Bob, but if Thomas had attacked when Grant kept on ordering him, it is a good possibility that the attack would have failed.  According to reports, the ground was so icy after an ice storm, that even the horses could not stand up, let alone a soldier trying to march.  Grant was not aware of these severe weather conditions and IIRC the ice storm also knocked out the telegraph lines so Thomas was not able to notify Grant of the conditions.  Once the weather cleared and conditions improved, Thomas did attack and was successful.

        JEJ