Re: Bragg and Longstreet

  • Mark Peters
    Message 1 of 189 , Aug 1, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...>
      wrote:

      >>Right or wrong, Bragg was C-in-C, and made Longstreet's behaviour
      >>out of order!
      >

      > Can't argue with that. I would have a lot more respect for
      > Longstreet and the other members of the cabal if all these generals
      > followed up by resigning when Bragg continued as Commander.

      This would have also forced Davis's hand. Davis had claimed that he
      would have liked to replace Bragg but couldn't find a suitable
      replacement. To lose so many experienced corps/division commanders
      would surely have made Bragg expendable.

      But, perhaps we should have more respect for the likes of
      Breckinridge who, despite his opposition to Bragg, continued to do
      his duty and refused to join the conspiracy against Bragg.

      Mark
    • LWhite64@aol.com
      Message 189 of 189 , Jun 14, 2006
        Bragg had a lot of health problems, he suffered from chronic migranes, stomach ailments that probably led to his bouts with chronic dysentery, boils, and probably heart disease.  Bragg also showed symptomes of manic-depression as well.

        Lee