Re: [civilwarwest] Re: N.B. Forrest v Wilder & Minty

  • LWhite64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 103 , Aug 1, 2003
      Well I will admit that WIlder might not have been such a good example considering his advantage, as to Minty though I stand by it, plus Minty was fighting an action across open countryside, the area between Peavine Ridge and Reed's Bridge is extremely open and Minty although pushed back delayed Johnson's advance for hours, which would have been the critical factor on the afternoon of the 20th with Forrest, now to Forrest's defence he did advance skirmishers and caused Granger to detach Dan McCook's Brigade to hold off Forrest and continued to the field with the rest across open country, funny thing is if Forrest had not attacked Granger would have continued south along the LaFayette Road into Thomas' line around the Kelly field and not to Snodgrass Hill where his men and the ammo his was bringing were so desperately needed.  Now as to the Arms of Forrest's men vs. that of Minty, Minty didnt have repeaters, a lot of his men did have the Smith Carbine and Sabers.  Some of Forrest's men did have bad arms, But Forrest also had a lot more Troopers and faced the same odds.

      Lee
    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 103 of 103 , Aug 4, 2003
        In a message dated 8/4/2003 10:51:45 AM Central Standard Time, clarkc@... writes:

        Hindsight is 20-20, but I wonder if using 4800 men, or more, to delay
        or stop 4000 is good command management by the Confederates?

        That is of course, relative. It depends what other missions those men were needed for. Since they did not really execute any other missions on the 20th, I think that stopping Granger was a viable plan.

        Dave Powell