[civilwarwest] Information Request

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 1999
      Good Evening Folks,

      I received the following email and thought some of you might want to take a shot at it.

      Dear Sir,

              I am a Major in the Parachute Regiment of the British Army and I am conducting research into the Battle of Chickamauga. In particular the area I am interested in is the events during the battle and how they relate to current doctrine.  Current doctrine emphasises attacking the will and cohesion of the enemy force rather than his military forces directly.
              I would be very grateful indeed if you have any views on the following;

      "To what extent did Rosecrans (Army of the Cumberland) and Bragg (Army of Tennessee) attack the cohesion and will of the opposing forces before and during the Battle of Chickamauga ?.  Are there any examples, particularly from the events surrounding Rosecrans's advance south-east from Murfreesboro across the Tennessee River and the actions of 18-19 September 1863,"

              I would be very grateful for any views and examples. Please feel free to forward my E-Mail to any other interested parties.
              Thank you very much in anticipation of your reply

      Yours Faithfully
      Giles Hill

      Since I am just breaking into the Western Theater I felt that many of you could contribute much more than me. I have not asked him to join the group yet so just reply to his email. I will inform him to be expecting mail from you folks. We have quite a well informed group in here and I'm sure many of you can help the major.

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)

    • Dick Weeks