Forrest, Hood at Spring Hill

  • jim@gwe.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2000
      I was told of a quote attributed to N.B. Forrest by one of the guides at the
      Rappavilla Plantation at Spring Hill, TN. In speaking of J.B. Hood, Forrest
      quote was, "If he weren't but half a man, I'd beat him within an inch of his
      life."

      I have been unable to verify the validity of the quote. Has anyone come
      across this one?

      Jim
    • Larry McGibben
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2000
        Jim.

        Have never heard of that quote about Forrest saying that about Hood. Have
        however, heard Forrest said something like that to Bragg.

        KyReb

        jim@... wrote:

        > I was told of a quote attributed to N.B. Forrest by one of the guides at the
        > Rappavilla Plantation at Spring Hill, TN. In speaking of J.B. Hood, Forrest
        > quote was, "If he weren't but half a man, I'd beat him within an inch of his
        > life."
        >
        > I have been unable to verify the validity of the quote. Has anyone come
        > across this one?
        >
        > Jim
      • Larry McGibben
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2000

        • ecm777@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2000
            Jim, I too had heard that about Hood and Forrest. However, the only incident
            I can find regarding something like this is with Bragg at Chickamauga.

            From Robert S. Henry's "First With the Most"......
            "As Forrest entered Bragg rose and offered his hand. Forrest refused the
            hand and, standing stiff and erect before the general, with the index finger
            of his left hand punctuating his every point with a quick, stabbing motion,
            unbosomed himself of the bitterness with which he had suffered under Bragg:
            '...You robbed me of my command in Kentucky...men whom I armed and equipped
            from the enemies of our country...You drove me into West Tennessee in the
            winter of 1862, with a second brigade I had organized, with improper arms and
            without sufficient ammunition...in spite of all this I returned well equipped
            by captures...and now this second brigade, organized and equipped without
            thanks to you or the government...you have taken from me. I have stood your
            meanness as long as I intend to. You have played the part of a damned
            scoundrel, and if you were any part a man I would slap your jaw and force you
            to resent it. You may as well not issue any orders to me, for I will not
            obey them, and I will hold you personally responsible for any further
            indignities you endeavor to inflict upon me...if you ever again try to
            interfere with me or cross my path it will be at the peril of your life.'
            Forrest, when he had said his say, stopped as suddenly as he had begun,
            turned and stalked out the tent...still with never a word from the commanding
            general."

            Hope that helps,

            Respectfully,
            Colleen
          • ecm777@aol.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2000
                > Jim, I too had heard that about Hood and Forrest. However, the only
                incident
                > I can find regarding something like this is with Bragg at Chickamauga.
                >
                > From Robert S. Henry's "First With the Most"......

                Thanks for the info, Colleen,

                I had read the reference to Bragg before, but the quote regarding Hood as
                "half a man" was given to me by David Stieghan, who is the Historic Sites
                Director for Maury County, TN, headquartered at Rappavilla. Apparently the
                quote, if real, was not said directly to Hood but to someone about Hood.

                Jim
              • jim@gwe.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2000