The Official Records

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
      Good Morning CWWTers,

      It's just a dandy day here in the battlefield country of Northern
      Virginia. In another discussion group I belong to there is some
      discussion about owning a set of the Official Records and which one to
      buy, so I thought I would pass along my feelings to this group.

      Virtually all of you that belong to this group have a Civil War library
      of some kind. Be it just two or three books or hundreds like myself,
      you all have something or you would not be interested enough to be a
      member of this group. I would suggest that if you do not already have
      them, to purchase a set of the "The Official Records of the War of the
      Rebellion." This will be the single most valuable research tool you
      will ever own. A few years ago, prior to the advent of the CD ROM, it
      was impossible for the average Civil War buff such as you and I to own a
      set of the records because the cost of the hard copy is about $2500.
      However, now they are well within the price range of the average person.

      While there are three different kinds you can purchase and all have a
      website for ordering, I will only tell you about my personal favorite.
      Anyone who wants know about the others I will be glad to respond by
      private email. If you want to see what is, in my opinion, far and away
      the best buy, just visit this website.

      http://www.guildpress.com/cdroms.htm#civilwar

      Please bear in mind I am not trying to sell anything here nor do I
      receive a commission of any kind. I just know that I have been using
      this thing since it was in "beta" testing and it is just a great
      research tool. Now, having said that, as good as it is, the user
      instructions leave a little something to be desired. However, I have
      solved that problem. I wrote a tutorial on how to use it to get the most
      out of it. I just got tired of answering the same questions when they
      came in from the website about it. For those that might purchase this
      CD or may already have it, just drop me a line and I will send the URL
      of the tutorial I wrote over. It might help get you started. By the
      way, the cost of the CD is only $69.95!

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com
    • jackehmer123@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
        In a message dated 10/02/2000 8:24:26 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
        shotgun@... writes:

        << Virtually all of you that belong to this group have a Civil War library
        of some kind. Be it just two or three books or hundreds like myself,
        you all have something or you would not be interested enough to be a
        member of this group. I would suggest that if you do not already have
        them, to purchase a set of the "The Official Records of the War of the
        Rebellion." This will be the single most valuable research tool you
        will ever own. A few years ago, prior to the advent of the CD ROM, it
        was impossible for the average Civil War buff such as you and I to own a
        set of the records because the cost of the hard copy is about $2500.
        However, now they are well within the price range of the average person.>>

        Thanks a lot, Shotgun; I think that I have just passed from being a Civil War
        buff to being a serious addict. I just ordered the Official Records and the
        corresponding atlas. I have been thinking about obtaining the OR's for quite
        a while and your note prompted me to just do it.

        Jack Ehmer
      • bootneck@u.genie.co.uk
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
          Hi,

          At last a post that I can put in my two pennys worth. The Official
          Records of the War of the Rebellion are the best things since sliced
          bread. When y'all start discussing things in the western theater and I
          get lost I just type in the keywords to the search engine and I can
          follow most of what happens by reading the reports from various field
          commanders etc. I ordered it over the internet and it arrived in UK 3
          days later. The best $69.95 plus p&p I ever spent.

          Regards
          Allan Mitchell aka Bootneck
        • Larry McGibben
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
            I fully agree with with Shotgun and Bootneck regarding the OR's on CD Rom
            put out by Guild Press. They provide an excellent resource for information
            and research.

            KyReb

            Dick Weeks wrote:

            > Good Morning CWWTers,
            >
            > It's just a dandy day here in the battlefield country of Northern
            > Virginia. In another discussion group I belong to there is some
            > discussion about owning a set of the Official Records and which one to
            > buy, so I thought I would pass along my feelings to this group.
            >
            > Virtually all of you that belong to this group have a Civil War library
            > of some kind. Be it just two or three books or hundreds like myself,
            > you all have something or you would not be interested enough to be a
            > member of this group. I would suggest that if you do not already have
            > them, to purchase a set of the "The Official Records of the War of the
            > Rebellion." This will be the single most valuable research tool you
            > will ever own. A few years ago, prior to the advent of the CD ROM, it
            > was impossible for the average Civil War buff such as you and I to own a
            > set of the records because the cost of the hard copy is about $2500.
            > However, now they are well within the price range of the average person.
            >
            > While there are three different kinds you can purchase and all have a
            > website for ordering, I will only tell you about my personal favorite.
            > Anyone who wants know about the others I will be glad to respond by
            > private email. If you want to see what is, in my opinion, far and away
            > the best buy, just visit this website.
            >
            > http://www.guildpress.com/cdroms.htm#civilwar
            >
            > Please bear in mind I am not trying to sell anything here nor do I
            > receive a commission of any kind. I just know that I have been using
            > this thing since it was in "beta" testing and it is just a great
            > research tool. Now, having said that, as good as it is, the user
            > instructions leave a little something to be desired. However, I have
            > solved that problem. I wrote a tutorial on how to use it to get the most
            > out of it. I just got tired of answering the same questions when they
            > came in from the website about it. For those that might purchase this
            > CD or may already have it, just drop me a line and I will send the URL
            > of the tutorial I wrote over. It might help get you started. By the
            > way, the cost of the CD is only $69.95!
            >
            > I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
            > Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
            > http://www.civilwarhome.com

          • Daniel Giallombardo
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
              --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, jackehmer123@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 10/02/2000 8:24:26 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
              > shotgun@c... writes:
              >
              > << Virtually all of you that belong to this group have a Civil War
              library
              > of some kind. Be it just two or three books or hundreds like
              myself,
              > you all have something or you would not be interested enough to be
              > member of this group. I would suggest that if you do not already
              have
              > them, to purchase a set of the "The Official Records of the War of
              the
              > Rebellion." This will be the single most valuable research tool
              you
              > will ever own. A few years ago, prior to the advent of the CD
              ROM,
              it
              > was impossible for the average Civil War buff such as you and I to
              own a
              > set of the records because the cost of the hard copy is about
              $2500.
              > However, now they are well within the price range of the average
              person.>>

              > Thanks a lot, Shotgun; I think that I have just passed from being a
              Civil War
              > buff to being a serious addict. I just ordered the Official Records
              and the
              > corresponding atlas. I have been thinking about obtaining the OR's
              for quite
              > a while and your note prompted me to just do it.
              >
              > Jack Ehmer

              And for those with monetary and/or spatial restraints-the
              contemporary way to say,little cash,and less space-if you go to my
              web
              site (http:www.theonlinedispatch.com)Dan's Civil War Page,and go to
              the links page,you'll see a listing for Cornell University (the
              Making
              of America).The O.R.'s are there also.-----------Dan
            • Daniel Giallombardo
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000