Thomas: Overrated or Underrated?

  • caztanzo
    Message 1 of 115 , Jul 28, 2003
      I must admit that when I came here I thought rather highly of George
      H. Thomas. I dismissed charges that there was some sort of pro-Grant
      conspiracy to get him as the merest tripe, and nothing I've read here
      changes my mind on that matter.

      However, people are raising all sorts of questions about Thomas, and
      I wonder whether this is an excessive backlash. It doesn't help that
      the biographies about him seem rather limited.
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 115 of 115 , Aug 1, 2003
        In a message dated 8/1/2003 7:13:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rtaubman@... writes:

        Grant's order
        to attack regardless of the circumstances, Grant's perception of Thomas,
        and Thomas's refusal frustrated Grant.  I believe Grant was completely
        within his right as CIC to make such an order, I certainly won't/can't argue
        that.

        I agree with this Bob, but if Thomas had attacked when Grant kept on ordering him, it is a good possibility that the attack would have failed.  According to reports, the ground was so icy after an ice storm, that even the horses could not stand up, let alone a soldier trying to march.  Grant was not aware of these severe weather conditions and IIRC the ice storm also knocked out the telegraph lines so Thomas was not able to notify Grant of the conditions.  Once the weather cleared and conditions improved, Thomas did attack and was successful.

        JEJ