Re: Morgan's Raid-Moorefield, Ohio

  • hartshje
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2003
      Thanks for sharing that Jack. It was markers like these near my
      grandparent's home (also in SE Ohio)that helped spur my young
      imagination and interest in the Civil War while growing up.

      I just recently found out that a great-great-great uncle on my
      mother's side joined an Ohio regiment at the outset of the war, which
      was sent into W. Virginia near Cheat Mountain. He was only 20, and
      died of disease at Huttonville in February 1862 without seeing any
      combat, and only 100 miles from home. Not much "glory" to his story.

      Regards,
      Joe

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, jackehmer123@a... wrote:
      > This is a photo that I recently took on my annual trip back to
      Ohio. The
      > hotel that Morgan rested at was less than 100 yards from my great
      grandparents'
      > home. Note that this visit occurred two days prior to Morgan's
      capture.

      > My great grandfather enlisted shortly afterwards in the 11th Ohio
      Volunteer
      > Cavalry, supposedly to go chase Quantrill in Missouri. When they
      reached Fort
      > Leavenworth, they were diverted to Colorado Territory to go chase
      Red Cloud.