Inquiry about AMU

  • M. E. Heatherington
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 27 12:21 PM
      Dear Group:

      A few weeks ago, in wandering around on the Web, I found a site at http://www.amunet.edu/cw.asp

      It is for "American Military University," a distance-learning-only college specializing in undergraduate and graduate courses in military matters, one option being an M.A. in Civil War Studies.

      My question: does anyone have experience with this school, and if so, what was it like?

      My thanks for any advice you can supply.

      Regards,

      Madelon Heatherington

      Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com .

    • loutrel@swmls.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30 8:06 AM
        --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, "M. E. Heatherington"
        <meheatherington@h...> wrote:

        The above message hasn't generated any response.

        Would like to know,as well as Madelon, if this is legit or just
        another Web rip-off.

        RSVP, Puhleese!

        George
      • d142pvi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30 5:31 PM
          In a message dated 9/27/00 4:13:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          meheatherington@... writes:

          << It is for "American Military University," a distance-learning-only college
          specializing in undergraduate and graduate courses in military matters, one
          option being an M.A. in Civil War Studies.

          My question: does anyone have experience with this school, and if so, what
          was it like? >>
          Folks,
          American Military Institute is very legit. I have followed the progress of
          both the institute and their web page for the past two years and have talked
          with some people who have attended. In a nutshell,I came away impressed and
          am starting in November. From what I've learned the courses are not easy-
          typical master degree level, with lots of reading and writing. Dr. Edward
          Hagerty,who teaches several of the classes, recieved his phd. under Dr.
          Russell Weigley of Temple University,one of the most highly regarded American
          military historians. It is possible to audit classes,you get no grade but it
          is less expensive and you still get to contact the profs and interact with
          the other students. Although the majority of the Civil War program is
          military in nature there are also economic,logistical,and political corses.
          In short,it is a good deal. Hope this answers some of your questions.
          Neil M. Hate
        • M. E. Heatherington
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
            Dear Mr. Hate:

            Thank you very much for your input. I appreciate your taking the time to
            write. If you feel like commenting after you've taken a class or two, I
            would love to hear anything you'd care to note.

            I, too, have broswed often and thoroughly through AMU's site and feel
            positive toward their offerings, but I cannot at this time afford even an
            auditor's fees. Who knows, though? Maybe next year.

            Sincerely,
            Madelon E. Heatherington

            >From: d142pvi@...
            >To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Inquiry about AMU
            >Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 20:31:24 EDT
            >
            >In a message dated 9/27/00 4:13:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            >meheatherington@... writes:
            >
            ><< It is for "American Military University," a distance-learning-only
            >college
            >specializing in undergraduate and graduate courses in military matters, one
            >option being an M.A. in Civil War Studies.
            >
            >My question: does anyone have experience with this school, and if so, what
            >was it like? >>
            > Folks,
            > American Military Institute is very legit. I have followed the progress
            >of
            >both the institute and their web page for the past two years and have
            >talked
            >with some people who have attended. In a nutshell,I came away impressed and
            >am starting in November. From what I've learned the courses are not easy-
            >typical master degree level, with lots of reading and writing. Dr. Edward
            >Hagerty,who teaches several of the classes, recieved his phd. under Dr.
            >Russell Weigley of Temple University,one of the most highly regarded
            >American
            >military historians. It is possible to audit classes,you get no grade but
            >it
            >is less expensive and you still get to contact the profs and interact with
            >the other students. Although the majority of the Civil War program is
            >military in nature there are also economic,logistical,and political corses.
            >In short,it is a good deal. Hope this answers some of your questions.
            >Neil M. Hate

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • M. E. Heatherington
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000