[civilwarwest] General Govan

  • basecat@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 10 10:13 PM
      Hey all!!...Just checking to see if anyone has or knows of any books on
      General Govan....Have read only minor snippets about his Civil War
      career, and would like to read a full biography on him....Reason why I
      ask....Govan is a Croatian name...that is shared by my family...i.e.
      we have Govan's in the family tree, and any information would be
      helpful...Thanks...Steve.
    • L.A. Chambliss
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 11 4:05 PM
        Heya Basec....er, I mean Hi Steve!

        Some clues would have been helpful here, like if the guy went North or
        South...however with only two books to choose between I picked the right
        one in only two tries!

        Per "Generals in Gray": Daniel Chevilette Govan, b. July 4 1829,
        Northampton County, North Carolina. Raised in Mississippi, went to
        University of South Carolina. Went out to the California Gold Rush with his
        "kinsman" (relationship unspecified), Ben McCulloch. Returned to
        Mississippi then settled in Arkansas as a planter. Raised a company that
        became part of the 2nd Ark. Inf. Captured at Jonesboro (Atlanta Campaign)
        but got sprung in time to surrender with Johnston at Bentonville.
        Postwar, he was appointed Indian agent in Washington State. Spent his later
        years bouncing between the houses of his 14 (!!) children in Tennessee and
        Mississippi. Died Mar. 12 1911 in Memphis, buried Holly Springs, Miss.

        If he had gone Union I could give you gory medical details, but I don't
        have "Medical Histories of Confederate Generals" yet.

        Don't see much of a Croatian connection in this, his middle name sounds
        more French to me. However, this is what I can find.

        See ya on the chat board later..

        Laurie (Xan)

        basecat@... wrote:

        > Hey all!!...Just checking to see if anyone has or knows of any books on
        > General Govan....Have read only minor snippets about his Civil War
        > career, and would like to read a full biography on him....Reason why I
        > ask....Govan is a Croatian name...that is shared by my family...i.e.
        > we have Govan's in the family tree, and any information would be
        > helpful...Thanks...Steve.

        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
      • L.A. Chambliss
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 11 4:05 PM

          basecat@... wrote:

          > Hey all!!...Just checking to see if anyone has or knows of any books on
          > General Govan....Have read only minor snippets about his Civil War
          > career, and would like to read a full biography on him....Reason why I
          > ask....Govan is a Croatian name...that is shared by my family...i.e.
          > we have Govan's in the family tree, and any information would be
          > helpful...Thanks...Steve.

          > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
        • Stephen Basic
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 11 7:53 PM
            Xan....LOL...In my insomnia of last night...forgot to mention that the
            original name in my family tree that my Dad is working on is
            Govanicevic....which was shortened to Govan....and we still have
            relatives in NC with that name, or the shortened version of this...Have
            already contacted that family, but alas when I mentioned the CW...Their
            respone was ..There was one???...:-) Know it is a longshot....but when
            I saw the name Govan in Dad's research I couldn't believe it...Thanks
            for the background info...:-)

            Steve
          • Stephen Basic

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 12 11:21 AM
                Hey Steve,

                I can top that one...this is the history of my sister's husband's family.
                Back in Poland around the end of the last century the choices for a young
                man varied between involuntary enlistment in the German or the Russian
                armies, depending on whose "recruiters" swept through your village as you
                turned military age. A young man of the Magara family found either choice
                distasteful so he hopped ship for America. To spare his family embarrasment
                (possibly of a fatal nature) he took the precaution of getting forged
                papers for this trip. The only ones he could get were in the name of
                "Majeieleski" or something equally unspellable.

                A couple of years later his younger brother is faced with the same
                predicament so he goes back as a respectable US citizen and gets his
                brother out too, however the brother is obliged to become "Majeielski" as
                well. The families settle in Milwaukee and go on to prosper.

                We come to the current generation when the grandson of our original
                immigrant marries my sister. She, being well established in her career in
                university public relations keeps her own name, Melanie Spain. This goes
                well until the arrival of their firstborn son. Much dithering takes place,
                largely around two themes: the whole family should have the same name, but
                it would be child abuse to inflict this "Majielski" thing on an innocent
                newborn. My sis is barely out of the delivery room when Jim brings her
                some official looking documents: He has quietly gone to court and legally
                changed his name back to Magara!

                There is rejoicing in the land, Melanie goes through the paperwork to
                become a Magara too, and much confusion at the post office is eliminated.
                (The only problem was that Jim's dad was somewhat less than amused, but
                he is quietly ignored. ) I leave you with the thought of what some future
                geneologist is going to go through, trying to figure out why the Maraga
                line has this bizzare spelling of the name for a couple of generations.
                He'll probably blame it on Ellis Island bureaucrats with a warped sense of
                humor. ;)

                Cheers,

                Laurie

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 12 11:21 AM