[civilwarwest] Barnwells Battery of Andersons Corps

  • CHiBy524@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 1999
      My great great grandfather William Cason Gray inlisted as an artilleryman in
      Barnwells Battery of Andersons Corps, C.S.A (I think that corps was in
      Johnston's Army). I was wondering if anyone has any information on Barnwells
      Battery. I have tryed searching my family history but only came up with the
      info I just gave. When I tryed the internet I got nothing. If anyone finds
      anything please let me know.

      Thanks,
      Charlie Bush
    • CHiBy524@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 1999

      • pedinkler@frontier.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 1999
          chiby52-@... wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/?start=193
          > My great great grandfather William Cason Gray inlisted as an
          artilleryman in
          > Barnwells Battery of Andersons Corps, C.S.A (I think that corps was
          in
          > Johnston's Army). I was wondering if anyone has any information on
          Barnwells
          > Battery. I have tryed searching my family history but only came up
          with the
          > info I just gave. When I tryed the internet I got nothing. If
          anyone finds
          > anything please let me know.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Charlie Bush

          If your search turns out to be anything like mine you will have to do
          some digging. On the Web, try the Civil War Units file on the
          american Civil War homepage (URL: http://funnelweb.utcc.edu/~hoemann/cw
          arhp.html).
          Knowing the state your great-great grandfather was from will really
          help you get started. There is an incrredible amount of information
          available on the Internet. It takes a lot of searching, however, to
          find the sites most usefull to you. for bibliogrphies of USA and CSA
          units, see:
          http:///carlisle-www.army.mil/usamhi/ACWUnits.html
          Also try the usgenweb project at www.usgenweb.com/index.html

          Just by chance, I came across a reference to Anderson ( if he was the
          same commander) In 1862, Anderson was a brigade cammander attached to
          one of Lt. Gen. Longstreet's corps., and participated in the surprise
          attack against General Pope. Again, on July 2, 1864, Anderson was a
          brigade cmdr., again under Longstreet, attacked the Army of the
          Potomac.
        • pedinkler@frontier.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 1999