[civilwarwest] Confederate enlisted ranks.

  • pedinkler@frontier.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 1999
      My great grandfather says he was the orderly sergant for the 23d
      Mississippi Infantry Regiment. I have searched just about everywhere I
      could in hopes of finding some shred of information that would
      substantiate my great grandfathers claim. Failing that, I started
      loking for some description of the rank. I have found that from Lt. on
      down there were 1st., 2nd., 3d., and 4th everything...even privates!
      Can you imagine being a 4th private? I started out as an E-1 (third
      private) and knew dogs who were better off than me.

      All joking aside, can anyone provide me with any infromaton regarding
      the rank of orderly sergant, and how it fit into the general structure
      of regimental organization?

      Sincerely

      Waldemar Winkler
    • Stephen D Wakefield
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 1999
        Civil war oderly sgt was the 1st sgt.... Wakefield a/k/a
        My great grandfather says he was the orderly sergant for the 23d
        Mississippi Infantry Regiment. I have searched just about everywhere I
        could in hopes of finding some shred of information that would
        substantiate my great grandfathers claim. Failing that, I started
        loking for some description of the rank. I have found that from Lt. on
        down there were 1st., 2nd., 3d., and 4th everything...even privates!
        Can you imagine being a 4th private? I started out as an E-1 (third
        private) and knew dogs who were better off than me.

        All joking aside, can anyone provide me with any infromaton regarding
        the rank of orderly sergant, and how it fit into the general structure
        of regimental organization?

        Sincerely

        Waldemar Winkler

        The Mental Health Practitioner’s Instant
        Resource Library for $5.99! A 4-book set
        of time-saving aids for clinical tasks - a
        $139.35 value. Join the book club NOW at
        http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1364

        -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=civilwarwest&m=1
      • Stephen D Wakefield

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 1999
            http://www.tarleton.edu/~kjones/CSky-ms.html#MS-Inf Try this link it is
            part of the LSU Civil War links page. There is a reference for the 23rd
            Mississippi Infantry Regiment. Maybe this will get you started in the right
            direction. Good luck in your quest.

            Clayton Brannon