Re: [civilwarwest] Johnstson's Army of Relief

  • Jfepperson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003

      Dave Smith, who is currently on the road and perhaps incomputercado <g>
      is the local expert.  If he doesn't answer soon, wait a few days and
      repost your question.

      JFE
    • LWhite64@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003
        Order of Battle for JE Johnston's Army of Relief

        Breckinridge's Divison

        Daniel Adam's Louisiana Brigade
        32nd ALA
        13th/20th LA
        16th/25th LA
        19th LA
        14th LA Sharpshooters

        1st Kentucky "Orphan" Brigade"
        41st ALA
        2nd KY
        4th KY
        6th KY
        9th KY

        Stovall's Brigade
        1st/3rd FL
        4th FL
        47th GA
        60th NC

        Rice Grave's Artillery Battalion
        Mebane's TN Battery
        Cobb's KY Battery
        5th Company Washington Artillery

        French's Divison

        Maxcy's Brigade
        4th LA
        30th LA
        42nd TN
        46th/55th TN
        48th TN(Voorhies)
        49th TN
        53rd TN
        1st TX Sharphooters

        McNair's Brigade
        1st ARK Mounted Rifles
        2nd ARK Mounted Rifles
        4th ARK
        25th/31st ARK
        39th NC

        Evan's "Tramp" Brigade
        Holcombe Legion
        17th SC
        18th SC
        22nd SC
        23rd SC
        26th SC

        Artillery Battalion
        Fenner's LA Battery
        MscBeth's SC Battery
        Culpepper's SC Battery

        Loring's Divison

        John Adam's Brigade
        1st CONF Battalion
        6th MS
        14th MS
        15th MS
        20th MS
        23rdMS
        26th MS
        Lookout Artillery

        Buford's Brigade
        27th ALA
        35th ALA
        54th ALA
        55th ALA
        9th ARK
        3rd KY
        7th KY
        8th KY
        12th LA
        3rd MO Cav Batt
        Pointe Coupe LA Artillery

        Featherston's Brigade
        3rd MS
        22nd MS
        31st MS
        33rd MS
        1st MS Sharpshooters
        Carpenteir's ALA Battery
        Co. C, 14th MS Artillery

        Walker's Divison
        Ector's Brigade
        9th TX
        10th TX Cav
        14th TX Cav
        32nd TX Cav
        40th ALA
        43rd MS
        McNally's ARK Battery

        Gregg's Brigade
        7th TX
        10th TN
        30th TN
        41st TN
        50th TN
        1st TN Battalion
        3rd TN
        Bledsoe's MO Battery

        Gist's Brigade
        24th SC
        46th GA
        8th GA Battalion
        16th SC
        Ferguson's SC Battery

        Wilson's Brigade
        25th GA
        29th GA
        30th GA
        1st GA Sharpshooters
        4th LA Battalion
        Howell's GA Battery

        William "Red" Jackson's Cav Divison

        Cosby's Brigade
        1st MS Cav
        4th MS Cav
        28th MS Cav
        Adam's MS Cav
        Ballentine's MS Cav
        17th MS Cav Battalion
        Clark's MO Battery

        Whitfield's Brigade
        3rd TX Cav
        6th TX Cav
        9th TX Cav
        1st TX Legion
        Bridge's Provisonal Battalion

        Reserve Artillery
        Battery B, Palmetto Artillery
        Columbus GA Artillery
        Durrive's LA Battery

      • DPowell334@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003
          Marc,

          Lee White has posted the OOB of the Army of Relief, you can also find this information in Ed Bearss' massive three volume history of the Vicksburg Campaign. I think there is not a comprehensive listing in the OR, since I remember having to peice it together from various secondary sources and later entries.

          Strength is harder to find, if you want regimental numbers. If you have my Chickamauga Game, you will notice that I have all of  the regiments listed there as optionals, and they give you the strength to the nearest 50 men. Those estimates are based on the brigade and divisional strength returns from the OR.

          Dave Powell