Johnstson's Army of Relief

  • Marc Grad
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003
      Hi,

      I was wondering if anyone has OOB information on Johnston's Army of the
      Relief as of July 4th, 1863. Specificially, I have been able to nail down
      the divisions under Johnston's command, but I have not been able to find a
      source that gives details down to brigade scale, and I need the brigades,
      and if possible their strength too.

      Thanks!

      Marc G
      heidimarc@...

    • Jfepperson@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003

        Dave Smith, who is currently on the road and perhaps incomputercado <g>
        is the local expert.  If he doesn't answer soon, wait a few days and
        repost your question.

        JFE
      • LWhite64@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003
          Order of Battle for JE Johnston's Army of Relief

          Breckinridge's Divison

          Daniel Adam's Louisiana Brigade
          32nd ALA
          13th/20th LA
          16th/25th LA
          19th LA
          14th LA Sharpshooters

          1st Kentucky "Orphan" Brigade"
          41st ALA
          2nd KY
          4th KY
          6th KY
          9th KY

          Stovall's Brigade
          1st/3rd FL
          4th FL
          47th GA
          60th NC

          Rice Grave's Artillery Battalion
          Mebane's TN Battery
          Cobb's KY Battery
          5th Company Washington Artillery

          French's Divison

          Maxcy's Brigade
          4th LA
          30th LA
          42nd TN
          46th/55th TN
          48th TN(Voorhies)
          49th TN
          53rd TN
          1st TX Sharphooters

          McNair's Brigade
          1st ARK Mounted Rifles
          2nd ARK Mounted Rifles
          4th ARK
          25th/31st ARK
          39th NC

          Evan's "Tramp" Brigade
          Holcombe Legion
          17th SC
          18th SC
          22nd SC
          23rd SC
          26th SC

          Artillery Battalion
          Fenner's LA Battery
          MscBeth's SC Battery
          Culpepper's SC Battery

          Loring's Divison

          John Adam's Brigade
          1st CONF Battalion
          6th MS
          14th MS
          15th MS
          20th MS
          23rdMS
          26th MS
          Lookout Artillery

          Buford's Brigade
          27th ALA
          35th ALA
          54th ALA
          55th ALA
          9th ARK
          3rd KY
          7th KY
          8th KY
          12th LA
          3rd MO Cav Batt
          Pointe Coupe LA Artillery

          Featherston's Brigade
          3rd MS
          22nd MS
          31st MS
          33rd MS
          1st MS Sharpshooters
          Carpenteir's ALA Battery
          Co. C, 14th MS Artillery

          Walker's Divison
          Ector's Brigade
          9th TX
          10th TX Cav
          14th TX Cav
          32nd TX Cav
          40th ALA
          43rd MS
          McNally's ARK Battery

          Gregg's Brigade
          7th TX
          10th TN
          30th TN
          41st TN
          50th TN
          1st TN Battalion
          3rd TN
          Bledsoe's MO Battery

          Gist's Brigade
          24th SC
          46th GA
          8th GA Battalion
          16th SC
          Ferguson's SC Battery

          Wilson's Brigade
          25th GA
          29th GA
          30th GA
          1st GA Sharpshooters
          4th LA Battalion
          Howell's GA Battery

          William "Red" Jackson's Cav Divison

          Cosby's Brigade
          1st MS Cav
          4th MS Cav
          28th MS Cav
          Adam's MS Cav
          Ballentine's MS Cav
          17th MS Cav Battalion
          Clark's MO Battery

          Whitfield's Brigade
          3rd TX Cav
          6th TX Cav
          9th TX Cav
          1st TX Legion
          Bridge's Provisonal Battalion

          Reserve Artillery
          Battery B, Palmetto Artillery
          Columbus GA Artillery
          Durrive's LA Battery

        • DPowell334@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003
            Marc,

            Lee White has posted the OOB of the Army of Relief, you can also find this information in Ed Bearss' massive three volume history of the Vicksburg Campaign. I think there is not a comprehensive listing in the OR, since I remember having to peice it together from various secondary sources and later entries.

            Strength is harder to find, if you want regimental numbers. If you have my Chickamauga Game, you will notice that I have all of  the regiments listed there as optionals, and they give you the strength to the nearest 50 men. Those estimates are based on the brigade and divisional strength returns from the OR.

            Dave Powell