Re: Jefferson Davis and Joe Johnston

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 4, 2003
      This is dated Feb 18th; one week later, Johnston is Army Commander
      AoT. Quite a flip flop:

      "...commanding Army of Tennessee and Department of Tennessee and
      Georgia February 25 - April 26, 1865)..."
      From the bio on JEJ in Shotgun's site:
      http://civilwarhome.com/joejohnston.htm

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Nico" <nicoavenger@w...> wrote:
      [...] about Joe Johnston (file attached)

      > best wishes,
      * Nico

      EXECUTIVE OFFICE,
      Richmond, Va., February 18,
      1865.
      The joint resolution of Congress and other
      manifestations of a desire that General Joseph E. Johnston should be
      restored to the command of the Army of Tennessee have been anxiously
      considered by me, and it is with sincere regret that I find myself
      unable to gratify what I must believe to have become quite a general
      desire of my countrymen. [...]
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 11, 2003
        In a message dated 7/10/2003 8:51:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, slippymississippi@... writes:

        > Is there any evidence that Sherman had beef with Logan? Political
        > general or not, he was one of the most effective division commanders
        > under Grant during the Vicksburg campaign. It's hard to
        > imagine
        > Sherman would relish the loss of a good general.

        Following Atlanta, Logan took leave to do some politicing in order for supporting Lincoln's election coming up in November. He had finished that and was on his way back when Grant sent him the wire to proceed to Nashville and take over command from Thomas. After that order was rescinded, Logan went back and joined Sherman. If Sherman had a beef with Logan so much and did not respect his ability, why did he have Logan appointed the final commander of the Army of the Tennessee. Granted, a year earlier, he had Howard replace McPherson rather than Logan, but not only was Howard a WP graduate, he outranked Logan. I do not think anything personal was involved in Sherman's decision making in this case.

        JEJ