Re: Beauregard (was Davis & Johnston)

  • hartshje
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 2, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, david owens <davidowens24@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hey-to whom it may conern,
      >
      > Both Beauregard & Johnson were capable leaders but they liked to
      toot their own horns too much. In hind site it would have been
      interesting though if Beauregard would had been allowed to stay in
      the eastern theater and given a commanding role-could have changed a
      lot of things.

      > Too many people including Johnson and Davis were jealious of
      Beauregard and others to a lesser extent-proved to help doom the
      Confederates-proves you can't fight revolutions with conservative
      actions-you must be proactive as was Lee.

      > Dave-O.

      Beauregard was an excellent engineer with a good eye for defensive
      strength, but his offensive ideas were just too grandiose. He was so
      desperate to stay in the limelight that he was constantly writing
      long exposes to any general or politician he thought might listen to
      his strategies, which were usually far-fetched. He was too arrogant
      for his own political good. His defenses of Charleston and
      Petersburg were excellent, and I truly wonder how well HE might have
      managed to do at Vicksburg instead of Pemberton.

      Joe H.
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 11, 2003
        In a message dated 7/10/2003 8:51:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, slippymississippi@... writes:

        > Is there any evidence that Sherman had beef with Logan? Political
        > general or not, he was one of the most effective division commanders
        > under Grant during the Vicksburg campaign. It's hard to
        > imagine
        > Sherman would relish the loss of a good general.

        Following Atlanta, Logan took leave to do some politicing in order for supporting Lincoln's election coming up in November. He had finished that and was on his way back when Grant sent him the wire to proceed to Nashville and take over command from Thomas. After that order was rescinded, Logan went back and joined Sherman. If Sherman had a beef with Logan so much and did not respect his ability, why did he have Logan appointed the final commander of the Army of the Tennessee. Granted, a year earlier, he had Howard replace McPherson rather than Logan, but not only was Howard a WP graduate, he outranked Logan. I do not think anything personal was involved in Sherman's decision making in this case.

        JEJ