Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Jefferson Davis and Joe Johnston

  • david owens
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 2, 2003
      Hey-to whom it may conern,

      Both Beauregard & Johnson were capable leaders but they liked to toot their own horns too much. In hind site it would have been interesting though if Beauregard would had been allowed to stay in the eastern theater and given a commanding role-could have changed a lot of things.

      To many people including Johnson and Davis were jealious of Beauregard and others to a lesser extent-proved to help doom the Confederates-proves you can't fight revolutions with conservative actions-you must be proactive as was Lee.

                                                                                  Dave-O.

      Dave Smith <dmsmith001@...> wrote:
      > and Davis then turned the AOT over to Bragg.  I do not know what
      > was worse, the feelings between Davis and Beauregard or the
      > feelings between Davis and Johnston.

      I'm not sure in terms of "feelings," but in terms of respect, I think
      Davis had a lot more respect for Johnston than he did Beauregard.

      Dave

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 11, 2003
        In a message dated 7/10/2003 8:51:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, slippymississippi@... writes:

        > Is there any evidence that Sherman had beef with Logan? Political
        > general or not, he was one of the most effective division commanders
        > under Grant during the Vicksburg campaign. It's hard to
        > imagine
        > Sherman would relish the loss of a good general.

        Following Atlanta, Logan took leave to do some politicing in order for supporting Lincoln's election coming up in November. He had finished that and was on his way back when Grant sent him the wire to proceed to Nashville and take over command from Thomas. After that order was rescinded, Logan went back and joined Sherman. If Sherman had a beef with Logan so much and did not respect his ability, why did he have Logan appointed the final commander of the Army of the Tennessee. Granted, a year earlier, he had Howard replace McPherson rather than Logan, but not only was Howard a WP graduate, he outranked Logan. I do not think anything personal was involved in Sherman's decision making in this case.

        JEJ