Re: Jefferson Davis and Joe Johnston

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 30, 2003
      Can't find my source on this, Dave, but doubts about Pemberton
      apparently started after Beauregard took over Charleston SC defenses;
      Pemberton was in charge of them prior to B. and he, B., was pretty
      critical of what P. had done to that point. I'm sure this criticism
      circulated in the CSA and got to Davis.
      -I hate it when I can't find a source. I'm thinking it was not
      circulated in anything official like the OR's, though.
      Carl

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>

    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 11, 2003
        In a message dated 7/10/2003 8:51:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, slippymississippi@... writes:

        > Is there any evidence that Sherman had beef with Logan? Political
        > general or not, he was one of the most effective division commanders
        > under Grant during the Vicksburg campaign. It's hard to
        > imagine
        > Sherman would relish the loss of a good general.

        Following Atlanta, Logan took leave to do some politicing in order for supporting Lincoln's election coming up in November. He had finished that and was on his way back when Grant sent him the wire to proceed to Nashville and take over command from Thomas. After that order was rescinded, Logan went back and joined Sherman. If Sherman had a beef with Logan so much and did not respect his ability, why did he have Logan appointed the final commander of the Army of the Tennessee. Granted, a year earlier, he had Howard replace McPherson rather than Logan, but not only was Howard a WP graduate, he outranked Logan. I do not think anything personal was involved in Sherman's decision making in this case.

        JEJ