Jefferson Davis and Joe Johnston

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 30, 2003
      I've long suspected that one of the primary reasons Davis ordered
      Johnston to Mississippi May 9, 1863 was an understanding on Davis's
      part that Pemberton had no military experience in the field at any
      level. Johnston was still viewed as probably the second most capable
      field general the Confederacy had.

      Does anyone know of any primary sources (or secondary, for that
      matter) that support this?

      Dave

      Dave Smith
      Villa Hills, KY
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 11, 2003
        In a message dated 7/10/2003 8:51:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, slippymississippi@... writes:

        > Is there any evidence that Sherman had beef with Logan? Political
        > general or not, he was one of the most effective division commanders
        > under Grant during the Vicksburg campaign. It's hard to
        > imagine
        > Sherman would relish the loss of a good general.

        Following Atlanta, Logan took leave to do some politicing in order for supporting Lincoln's election coming up in November. He had finished that and was on his way back when Grant sent him the wire to proceed to Nashville and take over command from Thomas. After that order was rescinded, Logan went back and joined Sherman. If Sherman had a beef with Logan so much and did not respect his ability, why did he have Logan appointed the final commander of the Army of the Tennessee. Granted, a year earlier, he had Howard replace McPherson rather than Logan, but not only was Howard a WP graduate, he outranked Logan. I do not think anything personal was involved in Sherman's decision making in this case.

        JEJ