Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Cause and Affect

  • Scott K. Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2003
      Steven, I think you have narrowed it down precisely. I use different terminology but the gist is the same. Here is how I see it:

      One problem with the word, "Cause", is it has more than one meaning. For example, one meaning should be more appropriately labeled, "Causation". The ultimate causation of the secession crisis was due to the issues surrounding slavery, and the election of President Lincoln. The other meaning of cause, like "Southern Cause", is quite different. 95% of arguments can be avoided by making these distinctions. There is much senseless arguing because folks are not seeing eye to eye on terminology.

      The Southern cause, in its most general definition, was the preservation of  the status quo of the antebellum society through the victory of the Confederacy. This included the defense of home, fireside, and native states. Sure some will say no, the cause was purely the concept of State's rights, but even with that, the defense of State's rights was for the ultimate purpose of maintaining the peace and order of Southern society as founded by the founding fathers. Afterall, Southerners were not fighting for the defense of state's rights when it came to Northern states choosing to nullify the enforcement of the fugitive slave act.

      I imagine a similar distinction should be made for the "Northern Cause". Slavery was the prime causation for the war, but it was "defending the flag", "preserving the Union" that were the prime "cause" for most Federal soldiers.

      Scott K. Williams