Re: Diary Excerpt-GOD BLESS GENERAL GRANT

  • Steven Russell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2003
      Mobile City, Ala.
      April 23, 1865

      dear Annie:

      wee have got moved and partley fixed up. wee are in a long warehouse of cotton press they are called. Here it makes good quarters after we get fixed to suit us. It is much better than tents.  wee are in the dry and out of the dust and dirt. I received your letter of April 5th yesterday. I was glad to here from you agane and to here you was all in good health.

      I am happy to inform you that my health is still good. you say people are rejoicing over the fall of Richmond. well may be they rejoice, for it was a big thing. God Bless General Grant. I expect you have another jubalee over the fall of Mobile before this time. well Annies I beleive the ware is about over but wether wee will get Home before our time is out I cant say. Som think we will get out as soon as next month but I think they will keep all the soldiers in the field for som time yet.

      But Annie daer the worst is over.  we will Soon com Home victorious and the satisfaction of knowing we cleaned the rebels out. Home. Home. how the word thrills me to return to loved ones and dear ones as life it self. God grant the day is not far distant.

      well Annie keep in good chare and I will do the Same. do the best you can for your self and the children. Well I bring my letter to a close. write as soon as you get this. Kiss the children for me. good bye from your ever Afecionate Husband till Death.

                                                    Sam

      (20th. Iowa soldier Samuel Spaulding to his wife Annie. Few days after the fall of Mobile, Ala. The 20th. Iowa was mustered out at Mobile on July 8, 1865 Samuel Spaulding returned to his wife safely.)

      Best regards, Steven C. Russell

      Do you Yahoo!?