Buell's forces on April 6th

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2003
      I just came across this in my notes:

      If I have correctly written it down, Rawlins' letter to his mother
      on 4/8/62 stated: "Just when they were needed, and not a moment too
      soon, Buell's advanced forces, ten thousand strong, arrived on the
      opposite side of the river, were quickly crossed to our side of the
      conflict, and checked the enemy."

      As this was written before all of the controversy started, it
      probably contains much more truth than such assertions as, "The
      presence of two or three regiments of Buell's army on the west bank
      before firing ceased had not the slightest effect in preventing the
      capture of Pittsburg landing."

      Joseph
    • Jfepperson@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2003
        In a message dated 6/7/2003 12:39:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, josepharose@... writes:

        I just came across this in my notes:

        If I have correctly written it down, Rawlins' letter to his mother
        on 4/8/62 stated: "Just when they were needed, and not a moment too
        soon, Buell's advanced forces, ten thousand strong, arrived on the
        opposite side of the river, were quickly crossed to our side of the
        conflict, and checked the enemy."

        As this was written before all of the controversy started, it
        probably contains much more truth than such assertions as, "The
        presence of two or three regiments of Buell's army on the west bank
        before firing ceased had not the slightest effect in preventing the
        capture of Pittsburg landing."

        I disagree.  I probably accurately reflects Rawlins's state of mind
        that evening, but it does not reflect the actual historical reality.

        JFE

        James F. Epperson
        http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/causes.html
        http://members.aol.com/siege1864