Re: Columbus, Georgia April 16, 1865

  • Steven Russell
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2003
      Hello, everyone.

      Could anyone give me some advise or information concerning a Federal calvary raid led by Wilson in April of 1865?

      I have been researching several Iowa Medal of Honor winners. They captured a number of Confed. battle flags and their bearers at Columbus, Georgia on this date.

      We are trying to document one MOH especially, as he as yet to have a headstone of any kind placed on his grave, though he died in 1915 in Los Angeles, Cal. 88 years is long enough to wait for a stone.

      All I have is this: " Columbus, Georgia is the site of the last CW land battle east of the Mississippi River. On Easter Sunday, April 16, 1865, Wilson's Federal Calvary, 4,000 strong, over-ran a Confed. entrenchment over a mile long in Alabama, crossed the Chattahoochee River, entered Georgia and captured Columbus, Georgia."

      The MOH winner is a 4th. Iowa Calvaryman by the name of Norman Francis Bates. 4 MOH were cited to 4th. Iowa Calvaryman that day in the engagement. Any help would be most appreciated, especially to the descendants who wish to do right by their great-great-grandfather.

      I enclose a photo of Sgt. Bates.

      Best regards, Steven C. Russell

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Mike Yuhas
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2003
        Try www.battleofbrownsmill.com

        Mike Yuhas

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2003
          Sorry , try www.forttyler.com , However , the Browns Mill site is informative of Atlanta Campaign Calvary Operations.

          Mike Yuhas

          Steven Russell wrote:

[...]

        • hartshje
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 7, 2003
            Steve,

            There was a very detailed article in the April 2003 issue of Civil
            War Times Illustrated entitled "The Last Battle. Period. Really."
            It gives a very good account of the activities prior to and during
            the fight. My son lives in Columbus, and I have been there several
            times.

            Joe H.

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Steven Russell
            <lakeman12002@y...> wrote:
            > Hello, everyone.
            >
            > Could anyone give me some advise or information concerning a
            Federal calvary raid led by Wilson in April of 1865?

            > I have been researching several Iowa Medal of Honor winners. They
            captured a number of Confed. battle flags and their bearers at
            Columbus, Georgia on this date.

            > We are trying to document one MOH especially, as he as yet to have
            a headstone of any kind placed on his grave, though he died in 1915
            in Los Angeles, Cal. 88 years is long enough to wait for a stone.

            > All I have is this: " Columbus, Georgia is the site of the last CW
            land battle east of the Mississippi River. On Easter Sunday, April
            16, 1865, Wilson's Federal Calvary, 4,000 strong, over-ran a Confed.
            entrenchment over a mile long in Alabama, crossed the Chattahoochee
            River, entered Georgia and captured Columbus, Georgia."

            > The MOH winner is a 4th. Iowa Calvaryman by the name of Norman
            Francis Bates. 4 MOH were cited to 4th. Iowa Calvaryman that day in
            the engagement. Any help would be most appreciated, especially to the
            descendants who wish to do right by their great-great-grandfather.

            > I enclose a photo of Sgt. Bates.
            >
            > Best regards, Steven C. Russell

          • carlw4514
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 8, 2003
              Joe, seems that our friends at CWTI are being quite coy, as the
              statement "period. really" has to be modified to "delete 'period,'
              delete 'really,' make that 'last battle East of the Mississippi
              because that's pretty close to the Eastern theater and you see there's
              this persistent belief that if it didnt happen at least close to the
              Eastern theater it was unimportant' "
              The last battle [IIRC] was Palmito Ranch, Texas :
              http://www2.cr.nps.gov/abpp/battles/tx005.htm
              -that is, unless you wanted to count some skirmishing with Stand Watie
              just before he surrendered [june 23 1865 surrender date].
              -or the activities of the CSS SHENANDOAH :
              http://thecivilwar.netfirms.com/nav-timeline.htm#1865
              "[June 28 1865] marked the most successful single day CSS Shenandoah,
              Lieutenant Waddell, enjoyed as a commerce raider during her long
              cruise that spanned 13 months and covered 58,000 miles.On this
              field day Waddell captured 11 American whalers near the narrows of the
              Bering Strait."
              -the author of the article will have to take it up with the folks at
              the park service as to why the last battle of consequence to him or
              her was not included in the battle summaries of Georgia. [Perhaps if
              you have a copy of the article, which I don't, the text somehow causes
              one to forgive the apparently outrageous title. That "Period. Really."
              is too much, OK, maybe it's just me.]
              Carl

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hartshje" <Hartshje@a...> wrote:
              > Steve,
              >
              > There was a very detailed article in the April 2003 issue of Civil
              > War Times Illustrated entitled "The Last Battle. Period. Really."
              > It gives a very good account of the activities prior to and during
              > the fight. My son lives in Columbus, and I have been there several
              > times.
              >
              > Joe H.
              >
              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Steven Russell
              > <lakeman12002@y...> wrote:
              > > Hello, everyone.
              > >
              > > Could anyone give me some advise or information concerning a
              > Federal calvary raid led by Wilson in April of 1865?
              > >
              > > I have been researching several Iowa Medal of Honor winners. They
              > captured a number of Confed. battle flags and their bearers at
              > Columbus, Georgia on this date.
              > >
              > > We are trying to document one MOH especially, as he as yet to have
              > a headstone of any kind placed on his grave, though he died in 1915
              > in Los Angeles, Cal. 88 years is long enough to wait for a stone.
              > >
              > > All I have is this: " Columbus, Georgia is the site of the last CW
              > land battle east of the Mississippi River. On Easter Sunday, April
              > 16, 1865, Wilson's Federal Calvary, 4,000 strong, over-ran a Confed.
              > entrenchment over a mile long in Alabama, crossed the Chattahoochee
              > River, entered Georgia and captured Columbus, Georgia."

              [...]
            • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 8, 2003
                In a message dated 6/8/2003 7:45:26 AM Eastern Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:

                > make that 'last battle East of the Mississippi
                > because that's pretty close to the Eastern theater and you see there's
                > this persistent belief that if it didnt happen at least
                > close to the
                > Eastern theater it was unimportant' "
                > The last battle [IIRC] was Palmito Ranch, Texas :

                For arguments sake, let's just say that it was the last major battle of any significance in the Western Theater. <g>

                Palmetto would be in the Trans Nuss Theater. Watie's would be minor skirmishes, and as far as the Shenadoah - What would that be - the European Theater, Atlantic Theater, or the Oceanic Theater <g>

                JEJ
              • William H Keene
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 8, 2003
                  This gets into that esoteric issue of when is a battle actually
                  a 'battle' and when is it just a 'skirmish' or an 'action'.
                  Some sources call Palmito Ranch a battle, some call it a skirmish or
                  a series of skirmishes.

                  -Will

                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...>

                • carlw4514
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 8, 2003
                    Just exactly why I wouldn't include in the title of any such article
                    "Period. Really."
                    Carl
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@y...>
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 8, 2003
                      Carl,

                      What constitutes a battle vs. a skirmish? Not sure I can tell where
                      the cut-off is. Columbus involved 4,000 Union troops (with 8,000
                      more nearby) against about 3,000 Confederates. Plenty of artillery
                      was involved also, as Wilson captured 52 guns and 1200 prisoners, but
                      only lost 24 men. That was quite an accomplishment. I believe the
                      Palmito Ranch "affair" involved about 500 Federals and an equal or
                      slightly larger number of Confederates. The author of the article in
                      CWTI is Daniel Bellware (Member of the C.W. Preservation Trust in
                      Columbus) for what it's worth. He obviously identifies Palmito Ranch
                      as a skirmish, not a major battle. At any rate, I was only relaying
                      the existence of the article, and I thought it a pretty good one.

                      Joe

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 9, 2003
                        The Palmito Ranch affair involved artillery as well.
                        I hope this does not have to be settled on the field of honor [g].