RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Lincoln body snatching attempt

  • Steven Russell
    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 1, 2003
      I personally have no deep feelings of hatred for southerners or the south today. We are one country; and thank GOD for that. A Spanish American War researcher/historian has stated that the war in Cuba went a long ways to unite the country again. There are many red-necks in Iowa today as well, and western states I might add...if you mean by being very conservative.

      Steven C. Russell

      jaaah@... wrote:
      > Reconstruction was felt harder in those areas of the Western Theater than the
      > Eastern Theater as a result of territorial size.  In the East, is was
      > primarily Virginia, but all the western states were strongly affected.  The
      > assassination of Lincoln brought a feeling of revenge towards the South.  Lincoln's
      > thought was to heal the differences between the South and the North with a more
      > compassionate method of Reconstruction.  His death ended that thought.  The
      > North was going to make the South pay and pay good, not only for Lincoln's death
      > but for the war itself.  The whole carpetbagger concept and actions that
      > affected the South following the war is a shameful black mark on our country.
      > IMHO, that is one of the reasons why there is still a division and despisement
      > that many in  the South have for the North today. "Save your Confederate money
      > son, the South shall rise again"  is a perfect example.

      I'd agree, Gen'l.

      I'd also add that the North has also still not overcome its own low opinion of the South, at least this is what I have found to be the case. To a good deal of Northerners, the South is made up of a bunch of hairy backwards hicks and rednecks who wear sheets and have names like Hoss or Jedediah. I suppose, though, that this attitude was present prior to the War.

      But, you are right. The imprint that the assassination and the Reconstruction left upon the country was a very deep one and a very tragic one, and one that hasn't yet been erased. The Lincoln assassination was certainly the very worst move to have been made, and the effects are still with us.

      God bless,
      Jedediah Hoss Hart

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • jaaah@tbcnet.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Jun 9, 2003
        Seems to me that the James gang wasn't too crazy about Ames, either. The principal target of their last raid was actually his person!