Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Lincoln body snatching attempt

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 1, 2003
      In a message dated 6/1/2003 12:35:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, jaaah@... writes:

      A harder Reconstruction was forced, the decline of Southern culture ensued, and the disgraceful rampages of the Carpetbaggers were made manifest, among other things. After the shooting, as you have demonstrated, the opinion of Northerners on Southerners plummeted.

      Reconstruction was felt harder in those areas of the Western Theater than the Eastern Theater as a result of territorial size.  In the East, is was primarily Virginia, but all the western states were strongly affected.  The assassination of Lincoln brought a feeling of revenge towards the South.  Lincoln's thought was to heal the differences between the South and the North with a more compassionate method of Reconstruction.  His death ended that thought.  The North was going to make the South pay and pay good, not only for Lincoln's death but for the war itself.  The whole carpetbagger concept and actions that affected the South following the war is a shameful black mark on our country.  IMHO, that is one of the reasons why there is still a division and dispisement that many in  the South have for the North today. "Save your Confederate money son, the South shall rise again"  is a perfect example.

      JEJ
    • jaaah@tbcnet.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Jun 9, 2003
        Seems to me that the James gang wasn't too crazy about Ames, either. The principal target of their last raid was actually his person!