Re: Lincoln body snatching attempt

  • Steven Russell
    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 1, 2003
      Maybe John Wilkes Booth thought in his own mind that he and his conspirators wre doing the south a favor by assasinating President Abraham Lincoln. However, in my opinion, Lincoln's murder did more harm to north-south relations than any other event. Made it harder for those in the north to allow the southern states back into the Union easier.

      Also, the attempt to steal Lincoln's body was a sensation in some of the newspapers here in the midwest at the time. (albeit, his remains were not well cared for until 1901 when the tomb in Springfield was actually finished.)

      Here is a letter from Samuel Spaulding of the 20th. Iowa who was at Mobile Bay at the end of the war. It states imfatically the attitude of himself and the regiment concerning the assasination of Lincoln.

      Mobile City
      April 21, 1865

      Dear Annie:

      Wee just got the news of the Death of the President last night. great God, can it be possible that Abraham Lincoln is dead. the news has spread deep gloom over the entire army. the soldiers were so boyant and in good Spirits over the good news lately but now you can see gloom depicted on every contance. it is a Sad Afare but wee must bare it pacently. the cowardly dogs will Sufer for it. the soldiers all Swere vengence. well well what can one say. I feel like wading rite in a butchering every Mothers Son of them. I hope now the government will raise the black flag; if she will. I will go on for another year and d----- them we will exterminate the last rebel from the face of the earth.  Sam

      Steven C. Russell

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • jaaah@tbcnet.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Jun 9, 2003
        Seems to me that the James gang wasn't too crazy about Ames, either. The principal target of their last raid was actually his person!