Re: More of Bank of Fac Simile

  • Steven Russell
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2003
      I posted earlier about the 20th. Iowa passing bogus Confed. money/script to southern civilians in Missouri and Arkansas. Seem other regts. were doing the same thing.

      William Gulick, 1st. Iowa Cavalry Trooper:

                       "What people there are strong secesh and very ignorant. They will take Confed. notes rather than Lincoln greenbacks. And the joke is they do not know the genuine C. S. Scrip. So many of the boys have sent to St. Louis and got shinplasters struck of at .50cts. per $100.00 and sell or trade them for their full face value and in some cases get Lincoln greenbacks in change."

      Walter Lee, 22nd. Iowa Infantry:

                       "Sam Mitchel took home four good horses with him. He bought them with Confed. scrip. He says the boys are making money down there. They send to St. Louis and buy this imitation Confed. money for about 3 cents on the dollar and buy anything they want of the secesh and get greenbacks for change. He says they would rather have that then our money."

      Segt. Ben McIntire, 19th. Iowa:

                       "The people in the neighborhood of our camp, all of which are protected by orders from our commanders, are very accomidating. Selling us anything they have we wish and will either take Confed. or greenback notes for the same and many of our boys have a pretty good supply of down south money.:

      Best regards, Steven C. Russell

                     "

      Do you Yahoo!?