Re: [civilwarwest] Decoration Day

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2003
      In a message dated 5/31/2003 1:00:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, lakeman12002@... writes:

      Today is the actual Memorial Day. May ALL the soldiers of America's wars rest in peace wherever their last post maybe...known and especially the un-knowns.

      Here is my contribution for the day.

      JEJ

      A GRAVE IN THE WILDERNESS

      In the woods of the Wilderness there lay
      A new made grave today
      Built by man in his thirst for war
      A grave forgotten forever more
      For here lies a fighting man
      Dead in his youthful age
      Never to love or laugh again
      Trapped in this earthbound cage
      A minie ball came flying through the air
      Sought its prey and left him there
      Leaving him there in a strange land
      Covered with his blood and sand
      For his country this came to be
      For his country his soul is now free
      Now over the battlefield silence is golden
      For those that fell, we're always beholden
      In the far distance, church bells ring
      Then one can hear, the bugles sing
      Sleep and rest brave one, sleep and rest
      No one can say you didn't do your best
      Let your rifle rest on the earthen floor
      For you'll not need it anymore
      The bugle's notes seem to tell
      Farewell brave one, Farewell
      Your soul shall be where the heroes are