Re: Good Authors of History

  • Bob Knutz
    Message 1 of 35 , May 30, 2003
      100% behind ya. I do like how the popular view of those books and
      earlier have the reason for the Civil War is "States Rights" as
      opposed to "Slavery".
      Some of the best Authors/Books I would pick would be; Peter Cozzens
      the "The Shipwreck of Their Hopes: The Battles for Chattanooga", the
      old time favorite by Charles L. Dufour, "the Night the War was Lost"
      and finally James Murfin's, "The Gleam of Bayonnets". All are well
      done, and have some minor errors, (Dufour revised and fixed some of
      the minor problems) but are ALL Great reading!
      WOH
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "james2044" <james2044@h...>
      wrote:
      > Bob;
      >
      > You do have a point their. I think of him in terms of the ACW set.
      >
      > James2044
      >

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Knutz" <bob_knutz@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > I would have to disagree with you due to the fact that even
      his
      > > worse book Shiloh is nothing more then fiction based on fact. And
      > > Shiloh was FAR from a popular history, he could have put that
      book
      > > with a few changes about the battle of Tarawa in the South
      Pacific
      > > for that fact, it showed fears and desires that men have and show
      > or
      > > hide in combat. The book was hardly a descriptive of the battle
      > > plans, but rather a story of looking at someone from a boldest
      > > soldier on the battle field to a deserter.
      > > One of the biggest forces the propelled him forward as a
      > historian
      > > was the fact that PBS found it in thier heart's to have a
      > Southener
      > > who spoke well to be in thier Civil War documentary. He did show
      > > good portayal of impartiality and told storys of both sides both
      > good
      > > and bad.
      > > WOH
      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "james2044" <james2044@h...>
      > many
      > > > ways, I
      > > history.

      > > > I think that's unfair! I will agree that Foote isn't
      > a "Historian"
      > > > but he did not write a novel(s) as the Scharrar did. Popular
      > > > History might be the term for Foote.
      > > >
      > > > James2044
    • Bob Knutz
      Message 35 of 35 , May 30, 2003