RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Good Authors of History

  • tmix
    Message 1 of 35 , May 29, 2003

      True but Foote’s work is a darn good history. You don’t have to be an ‘academic historian” to be a historian.  Foote’s work is excellent.  Tom Mix

      Message 35 of 35 , May 30, 2003
        100% behind ya. I do like how the popular view of those books and
        earlier have the reason for the Civil War is "States Rights" as
        opposed to "Slavery".
        Some of the best Authors/Books I would pick would be; Peter Cozzens
        the "The Shipwreck of Their Hopes: The Battles for Chattanooga", the
        old time favorite by Charles L. Dufour, "the Night the War was Lost"
        and finally James Murfin's, "The Gleam of Bayonnets". All are well
        done, and have some minor errors, (Dufour revised and fixed some of
        the minor problems) but are ALL Great reading!
        WOH
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "james2044" <james2044@h...>
        wrote:
        > Bob;
        >
        > You do have a point their. I think of him in terms of the ACW set.
        >
        > James2044
        >

        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Knutz" <bob_knutz@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > I would have to disagree with you due to the fact that even
        his
        > > worse book Shiloh is nothing more then fiction based on fact. And
        > > Shiloh was FAR from a popular history, he could have put that
        book
        > > with a few changes about the battle of Tarawa in the South
        Pacific