Federal Generals from West Point, etc.

  • Martin Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2003
      Some figures I worked up a few years ago:

      As of May 1861:

      Of serving Regular Army officers appointed to Brigadier General (at least)
      in either the Regular Army or the Volunteers:

      145 West Point graduates
      18 Direct appointments including 4 non-graduates
      5 1861 graduates (both classes)
      1 1862 graduate

      for a total of 165.

      Of former Regular Army officers:
      58 West Point graduates
      4 Direct appointments

      for a total of 62 (including Fremont, Grant, Halleck, Hooker, Rosecrans,
      McClellan and W. T. Sherman who were reappointed into the Regular Army).

      Plus:

      14 Direct appointments in 1861 (including Butterfield)
      7 Non-graduates serving only in the volunteers (including Corse, Crocker and
      G. W. Morgan)

      For a grand total of 248.