Re: The Bank of Fac Simile

  • Steven Russell
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2003
      This is a diary entry by Capt. Chester Barney of the 20th. Iowa. The 20th. was in Arkansas, Missouri and Louisiana. In this entry, bivouacked 29 Sept. 1862 at Camp Mush (Pond Springs) not far from the battle field of Wilson's Creek.

      "It was here that I learned that many of our men had commenced a large business in Confed. currency, or what seemed just as good, the Fac Simile money, which was deemed by the rebel sympathizers better and safer than greenbacks. Having learned of this weakness of our "Southern Brethern" before leaving Rolla, Mo. many of them had bought large amounts of this spurious trash which only purpoeted to be an imitation of the Confed. note, and were now passing it off freely in the way of trade, but always in such amounts as required at least some change in return.

      We met here many who were willing to exchange "Lincoln greenbacks" for this Fac Similie stuff, dollar for dollar, and as the boys had purchased it at Rolla for about the original cost of the paper, they made quite a handsome profit in the transaction. The Bank of Fac Simile will have a large run if it redeems all its notes our boys put in circulation in Missouri and Arkansas."

      Captain Barney went on to say that GUS, a former slave accompanying the 20th. Iowa had turned entrepreneur. Gus had even passed off to one Ozarker a large strnge looking note which he claimed was a new style Confed. note. It proved to be a label from a patent medicine bottle.

      Steven C. Russell

      PS: Now do any of you think this will appear in any volme of history by a new author?

      Do you Yahoo!?