[civilwarwest] General Govan

  • basecat@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 10, 1999
      Hey all!!...Just checking to see if anyone has or knows of any books on
      General Govan....Have read only minor snippets about his Civil War
      career, and would like to read a full biography on him....Reason why I
      ask....Govan is a Croatian name...that is shared by my family...i.e.
      we have Govan's in the family tree, and any information would be
      helpful...Thanks...Steve.
    • basecat@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 11, 1999
          Heya Basec....er, I mean Hi Steve!

          Some clues would have been helpful here, like if the guy went North or
          South...however with only two books to choose between I picked the right
          one in only two tries!

          Per "Generals in Gray": Daniel Chevilette Govan, b. July 4 1829,
          Northampton County, North Carolina. Raised in Mississippi, went to
          University of South Carolina. Went out to the California Gold Rush with his
          "kinsman" (relationship unspecified), Ben McCulloch. Returned to
          Mississippi then settled in Arkansas as a planter. Raised a company that
          became part of the 2nd Ark. Inf. Captured at Jonesboro (Atlanta Campaign)
          but got sprung in time to surrender with Johnston at Bentonville.
          Postwar, he was appointed Indian agent in Washington State. Spent his later
          years bouncing between the houses of his 14 (!!) children in Tennessee and
          Mississippi. Died Mar. 12 1911 in Memphis, buried Holly Springs, Miss.

          If he had gone Union I could give you gory medical details, but I don't
          have "Medical Histories of Confederate Generals" yet.

          Don't see much of a Croatian connection in this, his middle name sounds
          more French to me. However, this is what I can find.

          See ya on the chat board later..

          Laurie (Xan)

          basecat@... wrote:

          > Hey all!!...Just checking to see if anyone has or knows of any books on
          > General Govan....Have read only minor snippets about his Civil War
          > career, and would like to read a full biography on him....Reason why I
          > ask....Govan is a Croatian name...that is shared by my family...i.e.
          > we have Govan's in the family tree, and any information would be
          > helpful...Thanks...Steve.

          > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
        • L.A. Chambliss
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 11, 1999

            basecat@... wrote:

            > Hey all!!...Just checking to see if anyone has or knows of any books on
            > General Govan....Have read only minor snippets about his Civil War
            > career, and would like to read a full biography on him....Reason why I
            > ask....Govan is a Croatian name...that is shared by my family...i.e.
            > we have Govan's in the family tree, and any information would be
            > helpful...Thanks...Steve.

            > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
          • Stephen Basic
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 11, 1999
              Xan....LOL...In my insomnia of last night...forgot to mention that the
              original name in my family tree that my Dad is working on is
              Govanicevic....which was shortened to Govan....and we still have
              relatives in NC with that name, or the shortened version of this...Have
              already contacted that family, but alas when I mentioned the CW...Their
              respone was ..There was one???...:-) Know it is a longshot....but when
              I saw the name Govan in Dad's research I couldn't believe it...Thanks
              for the background info...:-)

              Steve
            • Stephen Basic

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 12, 1999
                  Hey Steve,

                  I can top that one...this is the history of my sister's husband's family.
                  Back in Poland around the end of the last century the choices for a young
                  man varied between involuntary enlistment in the German or the Russian
                  armies, depending on whose "recruiters" swept through your village as you
                  turned military age. A young man of the Magara family found either choice
                  distasteful so he hopped ship for America. To spare his family embarrasment
                  (possibly of a fatal nature) he took the precaution of getting forged
                  papers for this trip. The only ones he could get were in the name of
                  "Majeieleski" or something equally unspellable.

                  A couple of years later his younger brother is faced with the same
                  predicament so he goes back as a respectable US citizen and gets his
                  brother out too, however the brother is obliged to become "Majeielski" as
                  well. The families settle in Milwaukee and go on to prosper.

                  We come to the current generation when the grandson of our original
                  immigrant marries my sister. She, being well established in her career in
                  university public relations keeps her own name, Melanie Spain. This goes
                  well until the arrival of their firstborn son. Much dithering takes place,
                  largely around two themes: the whole family should have the same name, but
                  it would be child abuse to inflict this "Majielski" thing on an innocent
                  newborn. My sis is barely out of the delivery room when Jim brings her
                  some official looking documents: He has quietly gone to court and legally
                  changed his name back to Magara!

                  There is rejoicing in the land, Melanie goes through the paperwork to
                  become a Magara too, and much confusion at the post office is eliminated.
                  (The only problem was that Jim's dad was somewhat less than amused, but
                  he is quietly ignored. ) I leave you with the thought of what some future
                  geneologist is going to go through, trying to figure out why the Maraga
                  line has this bizzare spelling of the name for a couple of generations.
                  He'll probably blame it on Ellis Island bureaucrats with a warped sense of
                  humor. ;)

                  Cheers,

                  Laurie

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 12, 1999