Visit to Shiloh with AoT

  • P. B. Jones
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2003
      Jack knows Steve Wakefield (aka "Wakefield" aka "AoT") having met him when he led our Chickamauga tour at June muster back in 2001.  I'm sure he'd agree with all you say about his tours being informative and entertaining.  At our first muster back in 1999 Steve gave us the tour of Shiloh.  He brought the field to life the moment we entered Fraley field.  In the early morning mists we stood in the trees and he cracked his hands together making the sound of gunshots and re-creating in our minds the first shots of the battle.  Eerie, impressive and extremely memorable!  Steve most definitely knows his stuff and imparts that information in such a way that enthusiasts of any level knowledge can be transported to another time.

      I chatted with Steve just last week in the CWiP chatroom (he frequently checks in to read the scrollback) and asked him where he was on the tour venture.  Come to think of it, he didn't actually respond to the question but told me he's been very involved with reading and ruminating about WWI and WWII.  As a matter of fact he's placed a lengthy post on the Civil War Interactive Premium Discussion Board concerning "WWII German-Russo stuff" saying he's working on an article and invited reactions to his thoughts.  If any of you are members of CWiP and haven't checked the post, please do so.  His head is definitely more into WW2 these days (said he was a bit burnt out CW-wise at the moment) and he's eager for feedback.

      Also agree with you on the Shiloh VC film being dated.  Basecat had our group chuckling with comments about the Amish being present at Shiloh from the looks of the film.  ;)  Another pleasant memory of the trip!

      Best regards.

      Pat