U.S. Army dog tent question

  • Martin Schreader
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2003
      I was wondering if there was any source on the Internet for finding the
      specifications for the regulation tent poles used with a U.S. Army dog tent
      during the Civil War. Specifically, I am looking for information on the
      lengths of the poles, and how they fit together. Any help would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Your ob'd serv't;
      Martin Schreader
    • DORR64OVI@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2003
        Martin...
                Im going to attempt to answer your question about tent poles and this is mainly from memory.  I am assuming you mean the two man shelter half tents that were introduced in early 1863.  These were developed to solve the ongoing problem of the carriage of the large A frames and Sibleys which slept large groups of men.  These tents had to travel with the wagons and the trains simply could not keep up with the marching columns.  Sometimes the infantry had to wait for more than a week for the trains to catch up and this meant no shelter until they did.
           The concept was to provide each man with one-half of the tent to be carried in the knapsack.  When the column went into bivouac for the night, the lads could cut poles from the woods and have a shelter in minutes.  It is my understanding that poles were developed but the issuance was very rare.  Same thing I think with stakes.
          I dont know of any on-line source for information.  I have not read this work, but you may want to check out Fred Gaede's recent book on Federal Shelter Halves.  That might give some information on the poles.
           I hope someone else on the list can provide further help.

        Kent Dorr
      • Riley Ewen