Re: Pike & Pea Ridge

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2003
      James, accounts I have read seem to confirm that some
      post-death scalping might have taken place. A [probably just
      spontaneous] propaganda campaign erupted, tho, with Northern
      publications attempting to maximize outrage. IIRC Harpers [or similar]
      had illustrations of headdress-clad half-naked savages with tomahawks
      running around doing their worst. But historians do not now seem [to
      me] to be viewing this as an example of a significant atrocity.
      -The real story is that the experiment of using so-called Civilized
      Indians was pretty much a flop, not because of possible scalping but
      because the battle showed that these troops were not going to be
      usable without a lot of training. Primarily, it was noted that the
      Indians wanted to revert back to accustomed tactics, like sniping from
      behind trees and boulders, once Union artillery dusted them up a bit.
      -Pike himself was certainly not responsible for any atrocities.
      Carl
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "james2044" <james2044@h...>