Pike & Pea Ridge

  • james2044
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2003
      How many think that something outside of "civilized warfare"
      happened that day and how bad do you think it was? Or do you think
      this was just an example of anti-indian feelings?
    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2003
        James, accounts I have read seem to confirm that some
        post-death scalping might have taken place. A [probably just
        spontaneous] propaganda campaign erupted, tho, with Northern
        publications attempting to maximize outrage. IIRC Harpers [or similar]
        had illustrations of headdress-clad half-naked savages with tomahawks
        running around doing their worst. But historians do not now seem [to
        me] to be viewing this as an example of a significant atrocity.
        -The real story is that the experiment of using so-called Civilized
        Indians was pretty much a flop, not because of possible scalping but
        because the battle showed that these troops were not going to be
        usable without a lot of training. Primarily, it was noted that the
        Indians wanted to revert back to accustomed tactics, like sniping from
        behind trees and boulders, once Union artillery dusted them up a bit.
        -Pike himself was certainly not responsible for any atrocities.
        Carl
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "james2044" <james2044@h...>