Benton Barracks Material Needed

  • Scott K. Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 10:29 PM
      Notice:
      Benton Barracks Historical Material Needed For Research

      I am researching the Union military installation known as Benton
      Barracks or commonly "Camp Benton". It was located a few miles north of St.
      Louis, Missouri and was one of the largest troop cantonments in the Western
      theatre and most certainly larger than any west of the Mississippi during
      the Civil War. It also had a large hospital, a refugee and contraband camp.
      Many regiments were organized here, even some non-Missouri units, and
      including some U.S. Colored Troops.

      I am in search of letters, diaries, journals giving descriptions of life at
      this encampment. Also photographs of men that are identified as photographed
      at Camp Benton. Drawings or pictures of artifacts from the camp are sought
      as well.. I am not so much interested in obtaining original documents but in
      obtaining good quality copies of original material. I am also needing
      permission to publish privately owned material in a potential future book on
      Benton Barracks. Credit will be given to contributors.

      Although I am on the staff of the Missouri Civil War Museum, I would prefer
      copies of material be sent to my home snail mail address: Scott K.
      Williams, 514 Chapel Cross Dr., Florissant, Mo. 63031-1673. Please send
      only non-returnable copies, unless you would like to contribute the orignal
      document to the museum collection. All items copies and originals will
      eventually be added to the museum archives. ***IMPORTANT: Please include a
      statement allowing permission to use your text, art, or images for future
      publication by the author Scott K. Williams or in the event I am unable, the
      Misssouri Civil War Museum.

      If one prefers email, good resolution document scans can be sent email to
      webmaster@... .

      P.S. : A summary history on Benton Barracks is available on the museum
      website at:
      http://www.missouricivilwarmuseum.org/benton.htm

      Sincerely,
      Scott K. Williams