Re: What Have You Been Reading?

  • xmaxcoolx
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2 7:56 PM
      > So what have you been reading?
      >
      > Dave

      I jusr finished "The Pride of the Confederate Artillery - The
      Washington Artillery in the Army of Tennessee" by Nathaniel Cheairs
      Hughes Jr and
      "Cannoneers in Gray" by Larry J Daniel. Picked them up at the
      bookstore at Shiloh after spending an entire day touring the battlefield.

      Todd
    • Chris Tabor
      Message 2 of 18 , May 19 7:29 AM
        Recently finished "The Political Career of General James H. Lane" by
        Wendell Holmes Stephenson (Topeka: Kansas State Historical Society),
        1930.

        Am currently reading "Quantrel and the Border Wars" by William Elsey
        Connelly (Cedar Rapids: The Torch Press), 1909

        -chris tabor

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
        wrote:
        > vis-a-vis the western theater, of course!
        >
        > For my part, I've just finished the first book of Ben Butler's
        > memoirs. They are a great read and provide a fascinating look into
        > occupied New Orleans.
        >
        > Of course, you have to take Ben with a grain of salt ...
        >
        > But he was, in writing, a pretty gifted story teller.
        >
        > So what have you been reading?
        >
        > Dave
      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 18 , May 19 7:47 AM
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Tabor" <crtabor@y...>
          wrote:
          > Recently finished "The Political Career of General James H. Lane"
          by
          > Wendell Holmes Stephenson (Topeka: Kansas State Historical
          Society),
          > 1930.
          >
          > Am currently reading "Quantrel and the Border Wars" by William
          Elsey
          > Connelly (Cedar Rapids: The Torch Press), 1909
          >
          > -chris tabor

          How is it?

          I've just finished 'Gray Ghosts of the Confederacy' and 'The Devil
          Knows How to Ride' both about the war in Missouri - wished I'd of
          read them about 10 years ago...

          HankC
        • Chris Tabor
          Message 4 of 18 , May 19 11:23 AM
            Not bad at all. Connelly was with the Kansas State Historical Society
            at the time and the book is very much from the perspective of a
            Jayhawker. Very good treatment of the Lawrence Raid (author calls it
            a massacre, which it was... but highlights point of view.)... Author
            devotes 9 chapters to the raid and its aftermath.

            I would recommend it.
            -chris

          • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , May 19 4:00 PM
              In a message dated 5/19/2003 6:17:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, crtabor@... writes:
              The book that I mentioned was pretty hard to find. It is available in
              some libraries that contain publications of the Kansas Historical
              Society in their holdings, though.  I found this copy in a used book
              store in San Francisco

              Recently finished "The Political Career of General James H. Lane"
              >by
              >>Wendell Holmes Stephenson (Topeka: Kansas State Historical
              >Society),
              >>1930.
              >>
              >>Am currently reading "Quantrel and the Border Wars" by William
              >Elsey
              >>Connelly (Cedar Rapids: The Torch Press), 1909

              I have found out that the best place to look for out of print or old books such as these is the American Book Exchange which can be found at ABE.com    Used and Rare Bookstores all over the nation list some of the books that they have at this site.  I have always had excellent responses and results and can highly recommend them.

              JEJ

            • Teter, Bill
              Message 6 of 18 , May 20 5:59 AM
                Message
                Chris,
                  My name is Bill Teter and I am new to this.  I am researching two relatives (brothers) that family legend claims were in the Battle of Westport, one on either side.  I am trying to locate definitive sources for rosters of units participating in the battle on both sides.  I was wondering also if there is a source for names of casualties.  The brother on the Confederate side was supposedly killed at Westport.  I would appreciate any guidance on help you can offer.  Thanks.  Bill

              • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , May 20 9:46 AM
                  In a message dated 5/20/2003 9:00:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, bill.teter@... writes:

                  I am trying to locate definitive sources for rosters of units participating in the battle on both sides.  I was wondering also if there is a source for names of casualties.  The brother on the Confederate side was supposedly killed at Westport.  I would appreciate any guidance on help you can offer.  Thanks.  Bill

                  Bill,
                  Go to this site for it most likely be the best to find out info on your relatives.  Once you find him and his unit, then you can look up his unit and where it fought.

                  JEJ

                  Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
                • Teter, Bill
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 20 9:57 AM
                    Message
                    JEJ,
                      Thanks.  Bill
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 20 10:26 AM
                      Bill,
                      JEJ has the best way to get at rosters via the CWSS, because you can
                      enter a regiment and it will provide a roster.
                      You can go to Dyer's Compendium, look for Battles, Campaigns, etc, in
                      Missouri (p813) and find the units engaged in the Engagement at
                      Westport, Oct.23,1864, and enter those in the CWSS regiment search.
                      A source for casualties is civilwardata.com, a subscription service
                      ($25/year) but it does not yet include Arkansas, Colorado and Missouri,
                      all of which were involved. It does include Indiana, Iowa, and
                      Wisconsin, which were also involved.
                      You might try the website Civil War Rosters, All States at
                      "www.geocities.com/Area51/LAIR/3680/cw/cw.html" to see if they include
                      rosters of the units involved.
                      badger