Re: [civilwarwest] What Have You Been Reading?

  • Dave Gorski
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2003

      >So what have you been reading?

      "The 24th Wisconsin Infantry in the Civil War,"
      by William J.K. Beaudot. Enjoyable and informative
      biography of the regiment. Beaudot uses a lot
      of personal stories of soldiers in the unit. I'm
      anxious to read some of the observations of
      the unit's participation at Chickamauga, but I'm not
      there yet.

      Also, "We Need Men, the Union Draft in the Civil War,"
      by James W. Geary. Just started this book, picked
      it up because it was packed with footnotes, and appeared
      to be very well researched. Kind of dry reading, but I
      can see referring to it often.

      Regards, Dave Gorski
    • carpmaster
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2003
        Finished "The Battle of Carthage" by Hinze and Farnham and presently
        reading "Wilson's Creek" by William Piston and Richard Hatcher III.
        Besides studing the Wilson's Creek battle they also look at the broad
        impact of events on the families of the soldiers and the families in
        whose neighborhoods events occurred. The also follow some of the 90 day
        soldiers from the time they enlist until after they return home. Battle
        studies can be very dry to me at times, but I'm enjoying this book a
        great deal.
        Chuck in Il.
      • xmaxcoolx
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2003
          > So what have you been reading?
          >
          > Dave

          I jusr finished "The Pride of the Confederate Artillery - The
          Washington Artillery in the Army of Tennessee" by Nathaniel Cheairs
          Hughes Jr and
          "Cannoneers in Gray" by Larry J Daniel. Picked them up at the
          bookstore at Shiloh after spending an entire day touring the battlefield.

          Todd
        • Chris Tabor
          Message 4 of 18 , May 19, 2003
            Recently finished "The Political Career of General James H. Lane" by
            Wendell Holmes Stephenson (Topeka: Kansas State Historical Society),
            1930.

            Am currently reading "Quantrel and the Border Wars" by William Elsey
            Connelly (Cedar Rapids: The Torch Press), 1909

            -chris tabor

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
            wrote:
            > vis-a-vis the western theater, of course!
            >
            > For my part, I've just finished the first book of Ben Butler's
            > memoirs. They are a great read and provide a fascinating look into
            > occupied New Orleans.
            >
            > Of course, you have to take Ben with a grain of salt ...
            >
            > But he was, in writing, a pretty gifted story teller.
            >
            > So what have you been reading?
            >
            > Dave
          • hank9174
            Message 5 of 18 , May 19, 2003
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Tabor" <crtabor@y...>
              wrote:
              > Recently finished "The Political Career of General James H. Lane"
              by
              > Wendell Holmes Stephenson (Topeka: Kansas State Historical
              Society),
              > 1930.
              >
              > Am currently reading "Quantrel and the Border Wars" by William
              Elsey
              > Connelly (Cedar Rapids: The Torch Press), 1909
              >
              > -chris tabor

              How is it?

              I've just finished 'Gray Ghosts of the Confederacy' and 'The Devil
              Knows How to Ride' both about the war in Missouri - wished I'd of
              read them about 10 years ago...

              HankC
            • Chris Tabor
              Message 6 of 18 , May 19, 2003
                Not bad at all. Connelly was with the Kansas State Historical Society
                at the time and the book is very much from the perspective of a
                Jayhawker. Very good treatment of the Lawrence Raid (author calls it
                a massacre, which it was... but highlights point of view.)... Author
                devotes 9 chapters to the raid and its aftermath.

                I would recommend it.
                -chris

              • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , May 19, 2003
                  In a message dated 5/19/2003 6:17:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, crtabor@... writes:
                  The book that I mentioned was pretty hard to find. It is available in
                  some libraries that contain publications of the Kansas Historical
                  Society in their holdings, though.  I found this copy in a used book
                  store in San Francisco

                  Recently finished "The Political Career of General James H. Lane"
                  >by
                  >>Wendell Holmes Stephenson (Topeka: Kansas State Historical
                  >Society),
                  >>1930.
                  >>
                  >>Am currently reading "Quantrel and the Border Wars" by William
                  >Elsey
                  >>Connelly (Cedar Rapids: The Torch Press), 1909

                  I have found out that the best place to look for out of print or old books such as these is the American Book Exchange which can be found at ABE.com    Used and Rare Bookstores all over the nation list some of the books that they have at this site.  I have always had excellent responses and results and can highly recommend them.

                  JEJ

                • Teter, Bill
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 20, 2003
                    Message
                    Chris,
                      My name is Bill Teter and I am new to this.  I am researching two relatives (brothers) that family legend claims were in the Battle of Westport, one on either side.  I am trying to locate definitive sources for rosters of units participating in the battle on both sides.  I was wondering also if there is a source for names of casualties.  The brother on the Confederate side was supposedly killed at Westport.  I would appreciate any guidance on help you can offer.  Thanks.  Bill

                  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 20, 2003
                      In a message dated 5/20/2003 9:00:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, bill.teter@... writes:

                      I am trying to locate definitive sources for rosters of units participating in the battle on both sides.  I was wondering also if there is a source for names of casualties.  The brother on the Confederate side was supposedly killed at Westport.  I would appreciate any guidance on help you can offer.  Thanks.  Bill

                      Bill,
                      Go to this site for it most likely be the best to find out info on your relatives.  Once you find him and his unit, then you can look up his unit and where it fought.

                      JEJ

                      Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
                    • Teter, Bill
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 20, 2003
                        Message
                        JEJ,
                          Thanks.  Bill
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 20, 2003
                          Bill,
                          JEJ has the best way to get at rosters via the CWSS, because you can
                          enter a regiment and it will provide a roster.
                          You can go to Dyer's Compendium, look for Battles, Campaigns, etc, in
                          Missouri (p813) and find the units engaged in the Engagement at
                          Westport, Oct.23,1864, and enter those in the CWSS regiment search.
                          A source for casualties is civilwardata.com, a subscription service
                          ($25/year) but it does not yet include Arkansas, Colorado and Missouri,
                          all of which were involved. It does include Indiana, Iowa, and
                          Wisconsin, which were also involved.
                          You might try the website Civil War Rosters, All States at
                          "www.geocities.com/Area51/LAIR/3680/cw/cw.html" to see if they include
                          rosters of the units involved.
                          badger