Re: Death on the Mississippi

  • slippymississippi
    Message 1 of 74 , May 2, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "bjer50010" <bjewell@i...> wrote:
      > > I doubt that proximity to the river had any effect on morbidity
      > > and mortality.
      >
      > Actually, Slippy, it may well have. Swampy low lying areas are
      > perfect for diseases spread by insect vectors,

      But you just described the entire state. If Grant is in Grenada, he
      is tromping through the Yazoo Delta swamps. If he's outside
      Vicksburg, he's tromping through the Yazoo Delta swamps. Wherever
      you go in Mississippi, you're in *some* kinda river delta:
      Mississippi, Yazoo, Pearl, Big Black, Pascagoula, Tennessee...

      Actually, the floods probably *reduced* the number of casualties
      nearer to the river. Cholera-type diseases would be reduced because
      you have a continuous introduction of fresh water to your supply.
      Malaria would be reduced because mosquito larvae require standing
      water to mature.
    • Will
      Message 74 of 74 , May 6, 2003
        Thanks Dave.