Re: What Have You Been Reading?

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
      wrote:
      > vis-a-vis the western theater, of course!

      I have about finished Brownlee's 'Gray Ghosts of the Confedracy:
      Guerrilla Warfare in the West 1861-1865' (LSU Press, Baton Rouge.
      LA. Cpyrgt 1986. ). The book is a well written, detailed chronology
      providing many insights (from all 3 sides) into Missouri's guerilla
      war with special emphasis on Quantrill. Many towns in my neighborhood
      are mentioned; most were bigger in 1860!

      I'm beginning Jordan's 'Black Confederates amd Afro-Yankees in Civil
      War Virginia' (UVa Press 1995 ). Judging from the preface and
      introduction it looks pretty good.

      HankC
    • slippymississippi
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:

        > I'm beginning Jordan's 'Black Confederates amd Afro-Yankees in
        > Civil War Virginia' (UVa Press 1995 ). Judging from the preface
        > and introduction it looks pretty good.

        I have heard that Grimm's is a pretty good read, also.
      • theme_music
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2003
          Geez I been reading some Eastern Theater stuff lately. Time to get
          back to the library. I just finished The Civil War Notebook of
          Daniel Chisolm, 116th PA; and also Richmond Burning by Nelson
          Lankford. The Lankford book is excellent, and in a general sense
          gives a good perspective on the chaos that can occur as a city is
          evacuated and then occupied by an opposing force. What's amazing
          about Richmond is that the opposing forces were both quite orderly in
          their activities, and the time civil order was absent was only a day
          or so, yet the destruction was widespread.

          Previous to that I "Marched to the Sea" with the diaries of Henry
          Hitchock and Thomas Osborn; along with Katharine Jones' _When Sherman
          Came: Southern Women and the Great March_. I had never really
          studied these marches beyond Sherman's Memoirs and letters, and found
          the accounts of those on the ground very interesting.

          Eric
        • Dave Gorski
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2003

            >So what have you been reading?

            "The 24th Wisconsin Infantry in the Civil War,"
            by William J.K. Beaudot. Enjoyable and informative
            biography of the regiment. Beaudot uses a lot
            of personal stories of soldiers in the unit. I'm
            anxious to read some of the observations of
            the unit's participation at Chickamauga, but I'm not
            there yet.

            Also, "We Need Men, the Union Draft in the Civil War,"
            by James W. Geary. Just started this book, picked
            it up because it was packed with footnotes, and appeared
            to be very well researched. Kind of dry reading, but I
            can see referring to it often.

            Regards, Dave Gorski
          • carpmaster
            Message 5 of 18 , May 2, 2003
              Finished "The Battle of Carthage" by Hinze and Farnham and presently
              reading "Wilson's Creek" by William Piston and Richard Hatcher III.
              Besides studing the Wilson's Creek battle they also look at the broad
              impact of events on the families of the soldiers and the families in
              whose neighborhoods events occurred. The also follow some of the 90 day
              soldiers from the time they enlist until after they return home. Battle
              studies can be very dry to me at times, but I'm enjoying this book a
              great deal.
              Chuck in Il.
            • xmaxcoolx
              Message 6 of 18 , May 2, 2003
                > So what have you been reading?
                >
                > Dave

                I jusr finished "The Pride of the Confederate Artillery - The
                Washington Artillery in the Army of Tennessee" by Nathaniel Cheairs
                Hughes Jr and
                "Cannoneers in Gray" by Larry J Daniel. Picked them up at the
                bookstore at Shiloh after spending an entire day touring the battlefield.

                Todd
              • Chris Tabor
                Message 7 of 18 , May 19, 2003
                  Recently finished "The Political Career of General James H. Lane" by
                  Wendell Holmes Stephenson (Topeka: Kansas State Historical Society),
                  1930.

                  Am currently reading "Quantrel and the Border Wars" by William Elsey
                  Connelly (Cedar Rapids: The Torch Press), 1909

                  -chris tabor

                  wrote:
                  > vis-a-vis the western theater, of course!
                  >
                  > For my part, I've just finished the first book of Ben Butler's
                  > memoirs. They are a great read and provide a fascinating look into
                  > occupied New Orleans.
                  >
                  > Of course, you have to take Ben with a grain of salt ...
                  >
                  > But he was, in writing, a pretty gifted story teller.
                  >
                  > So what have you been reading?
                  >
                  > Dave
                • hank9174
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 19, 2003
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Tabor" <crtabor@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > Recently finished "The Political Career of General James H. Lane"
                    by
                    > Wendell Holmes Stephenson (Topeka: Kansas State Historical
                    Society),
                    > 1930.
                    >
                    > Am currently reading "Quantrel and the Border Wars" by William
                    Elsey
                    > Connelly (Cedar Rapids: The Torch Press), 1909
                    >
                    > -chris tabor

                    How is it?

                    I've just finished 'Gray Ghosts of the Confederacy' and 'The Devil
                    Knows How to Ride' both about the war in Missouri - wished I'd of
                    read them about 10 years ago...

                    HankC
                  • Chris Tabor
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 19, 2003
                      Not bad at all. Connelly was with the Kansas State Historical Society
                      at the time and the book is very much from the perspective of a
                      Jayhawker. Very good treatment of the Lawrence Raid (author calls it
                      a massacre, which it was... but highlights point of view.)... Author
                      devotes 9 chapters to the raid and its aftermath.

                      I would recommend it.
                      -chris

                    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 19, 2003
                        In a message dated 5/19/2003 6:17:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, crtabor@... writes:
                        The book that I mentioned was pretty hard to find. It is available in
                        some libraries that contain publications of the Kansas Historical
                        Society in their holdings, though.  I found this copy in a used book
                        store in San Francisco

                        Recently finished "The Political Career of General James H. Lane"
                        >by
                        >>Wendell Holmes Stephenson (Topeka: Kansas State Historical
                        >Society),
                        >>1930.
                        >>
                        >>Am currently reading "Quantrel and the Border Wars" by William
                        >Elsey
                        >>Connelly (Cedar Rapids: The Torch Press), 1909

                        I have found out that the best place to look for out of print or old books such as these is the American Book Exchange which can be found at ABE.com    Used and Rare Bookstores all over the nation list some of the books that they have at this site.  I have always had excellent responses and results and can highly recommend them.

                        JEJ

                      • Teter, Bill
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 20, 2003
                          Message
                          Chris,
                            My name is Bill Teter and I am new to this.  I am researching two relatives (brothers) that family legend claims were in the Battle of Westport, one on either side.  I am trying to locate definitive sources for rosters of units participating in the battle on both sides.  I was wondering also if there is a source for names of casualties.  The brother on the Confederate side was supposedly killed at Westport.  I would appreciate any guidance on help you can offer.  Thanks.  Bill

                        • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 20, 2003
                            In a message dated 5/20/2003 9:00:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, bill.teter@... writes:

                            I am trying to locate definitive sources for rosters of units participating in the battle on both sides.  I was wondering also if there is a source for names of casualties.  The brother on the Confederate side was supposedly killed at Westport.  I would appreciate any guidance on help you can offer.  Thanks.  Bill

                            Bill,
                            Go to this site for it most likely be the best to find out info on your relatives.  Once you find him and his unit, then you can look up his unit and where it fought.

                            JEJ

                            Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
                          • Teter, Bill
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 20, 2003
                              Message
                              JEJ,
                                Thanks.  Bill
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 20, 2003
                                Bill,
                                JEJ has the best way to get at rosters via the CWSS, because you can
                                enter a regiment and it will provide a roster.
                                You can go to Dyer's Compendium, look for Battles, Campaigns, etc, in
                                Missouri (p813) and find the units engaged in the Engagement at
                                Westport, Oct.23,1864, and enter those in the CWSS regiment search.
                                A source for casualties is civilwardata.com, a subscription service
                                ($25/year) but it does not yet include Arkansas, Colorado and Missouri,
                                all of which were involved. It does include Indiana, Iowa, and
                                Wisconsin, which were also involved.
                                You might try the website Civil War Rosters, All States at
                                "www.geocities.com/Area51/LAIR/3680/cw/cw.html" to see if they include
                                rosters of the units involved.
                                badger