Re: Favoritism Again

  • Will
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Williams"
      <williams484@m...> wrote:
      > This is straying into that other theater, but in 4/64 Grant
      suggested that
      > Franklin take command of the Cavalry Corps of the Army of the
      Potomac, and
      > in 8/64 that Franklin, who had just arrived from the Gulf
      commanding XIX
      > Corps, take over the forces in the Shenandoah.

      Franklin was thought very highly of by several generals, particularly
      Grant. Franklin had been 1st in the Class of 1843.

      > Augur took command of the Department of Washington in October,
      1863, and was
      > an indirect beneficiary of Grant's leaving the army to become
      President in
      > 1869, being promoted from Colonel of the 12th U. S. Infantry to
      Brigadier
      > General in the Regular Army.

      Neither event shows any active part by Grant. Augur's career was
      mostly service in the defense of Washington during the first year of
      the war and then service as a division commander under Banks in
      Virginia and in Louisiana during the second year and a half of the
      war, followed by a return to the defenses of Washington, this time in
      command, for the remainder of the war.

      > Reynolds commanded the Department of Arkansas from late in 1864
      through the
      > end of the war.

      Reynolds had a good career in the west outside of Grant's authority,
      making him a natural choice for Department of Arkansas in late 1864.
      He had served under Rosecrans at Cheat Mt. and commanded a division
      in the AotC from the Tullahoma campaign through Chickamaugua then as
      Thomas's Chief of Staff during the final part of 1863. In early 1864
      he was put in charge of the New Orleans defenses.

      > Steele finished the war commanding the otherwise unnamed army
      advancing on
      > Mobile, in Canby's Division of the Gulf.

      Steele had also had a long career in the west up to that point,
      including service in Missouri until he was added to Sherman's force
      for the begining of the Vicksburg campaign in which he served a a
      division commander throughout. He then commanded the force that
      captured Little Rock and was then made commander of the Department of
      Arkansas and 7th Corps.

      > I discussed Hamilton in my previous message.

      Which showed that Grant gave his career negative attention.

      ~Will