Seniority of Union Generals

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2003
      Dear Mr. Butowsky,
      -The National Park Service website lists your
      email address as a "ask the historian" service.
      So I thought I would ask you if you knew the
      following.
      -Our [email] Civil War discussion group has
      recently been discussing the seniority of Union
      Generals. One list that is possibly incorrect has
      major generals [I guess] seniority-ranked 1
      through 19 as:
      McClellan , Freemont, Halleck, Grant [#4!?]
      Banks, Butler, McDowell, Beull,
      Rosecrans, Pope, Burnside, Hooker,
      Sherman, Thomas, Meade, McPherson,
      Howard, Curtis, and finally Ord.

      Of course, Grant was elevated later to Lt.
      General and outranked all. But is it possible to
      access a correct list without a lot of trouble?
      With your permission I'll post your reply at the
      group.
      Carl